• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

ASTB Question

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I have three pieces of advice, one of which can apply to ANY test taking in the Navy (or any multiple choice test).

1. You don't need to read more gouge, you need to practice more problems. For example, the math problems on the ASTB aren't very difficult, so the best way to improve is to practice knocking out these questions AS QUICKLY as possible and accurately so you can go back and review your answers at the end (something I did) of the section. I NEVER ran out of time on any section.

2. Read Naval history and nautical information as well as some basic aviation terminology (flap types, semi-monocoque structure, fuselage, empennage, flap types etc) as I didn't do this and these were likely some of the only questions I missed.

3. If you take a paper test (and all your tests at API WILL BE) then DON'T bubble each answer individually. When you determine the solution, make a little mark (line, scratch etc) in the appropriate bubble, and when you have accumulated 10, 15 or 20 answers, then bubble them all in at once. This saves a LOT of time spent moving from question booklet to answer sheet repeatedly and I have used this method since the SATs and rarely has time been an issue for me since.

Best of luck!

Python

pilot
Contributor
How much is the ASTB a factor for service selection. I got a 7/8/8 57 and I don't think I should take it again. Any thoughts?

lax014

Not sure on your overall package but to give you an idea a bit, 6/6/6 58, decent package, 3.4 GPA in criminal justice, applied SNA/NFO,

turned down on SNA but got pro rec'd and now final select NFO.

FastMover

NFO
None
How much is the ASTB a factor for service selection. I got a 7/8/8 57 and I don't think I should take it again. Any thoughts?

If I were you I wouldn't retake. I had a 7/8/5 54 on my second attempt and it went down to 5/6/6 46 on the third.

If you aren't successful when you apply with those scores you could retake, but I would only do it as a last resort.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

I would definitely stay with those scores, they don't get a whole lot better than that. Especially if the rest of your package is strong. Take into consideration, 5/5/5/-45 has gotten individuals pilot slots in the past.

eagleeye005

Pro Rec'd SNA
For the upcoming boards, my recruiter recommended at least a couple of 7's and around a 55 OAR. However, the test isn't the main thing they're looking at in your package. Try not to sweat it to much, 6's and 7's are great scores if the rest of your package is in good shape. I made 6/6/7 55 on my 2nd try and got selected for SNA, so they look at much more than just test scores.

Mav0130

Man how things differ. I got an aviation slot to marine ocs with a 6/7/7 on my second try. Study the gouge, learn general aviation knowledge (first so and so to fly whatever) and basic naval knowledge. If you get a chance, take a couple private flight lessons, it'll help you out considerably. Also, do math in your head constantly for a couple weeks bf the test. That was my most difficult part. hope that helps

badger16

None
I would definitely stay with those scores, they don't get a whole lot better than that. Especially if the rest of your package is strong. Take into consideration, 5/5/5/-45 has gotten individuals pilot slots in the past.

Who got a negative 45 on the OAR? I keed I keed.

@Python. Those are pretty good scores, i'd focus on getting the rest of your package up to par, if you need to that is. FWIW I had a 7/7/6/57 a 3.0 in history, 5 solid LOR's, and I was just picked up for SNFO(was a non-select for my first choice SNA though) Keep working and Good luck to you!