• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Asthma- my only problem

Fetter

I concur with Raptor. And thanks QS, it's good to know that it can be done. Good luck in training!

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I had asthma in my record at like age 11 or 12. No symptoms since, although I've never been able to get below a 10:15 on the 1.5 mile even when running every day. I took the methacholine challenge test and my volume dropped about 18-19% on the last dose. I was accepted as an SNA without any waivers. I'd take the test over if I were you.

Fetter

You sound like a lucky man Larbear! I may retake the test, perhaps getting in better shape and practicing with that ball in the cylinder thing Metrogirl was talking about could give me the ticket.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
On a side note, how is it being an NFO? Ever wish you had gone civilian and been a PIC or is it worth being in the back seat just to be strapped into that aircraft?

Dude, flying civilian is all fine and good (and yes, I intend to get my PPL), but it's you're not flying upside down and you're certainly not making real-life tactical decisions. I realize it's hard to explain since there's no common frame of reference, but I had zero desire to go NFO when I was in NROTC... and I'm not complaining at all now

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
but I had zero desire to go NFO when I was in NROTC... and I'm not complaining at all now

I'll second that. Not yet winged, but the more I learn about what an NFO does and get experience doing the nav and comms and just flying, the more I'm glad to be a SNFO and eventually a winged NFO.

Even just learning, its alot more than just being strapped in the aircraft. Granted, I'm not making tactical decisions like TB, but I have a huge say in the safe conduct of the flight, navigation and various other acpects of flying the aircraft. All this even though I'm not the guy on the controls... and as the junior, less experienced person in the plane.

Just my $.002

Cheers,
Bubba

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Anyone else care to comment? I can feel the thread dying...nooo!
Fetter,
Your case sounds very similar to mine, although I don't remember having any performance drop on the methacholine challenge test.
In case you haven't already, UTFSF (use the fVcking search function) and read my posts about asthma from a few years ago. A "methacholine" search should get most of them.
If I were you, I would be cautiously optimistic about your chances. The ability to demonstrate prolonged, symptom free athletic performance will help.
IMHO, the biggest factor in your acceptance will be your persistence and determination, along with your ability to remain symptom free.
For what it's worth, I'm one of the guys that jumped through the hoops and am now living the dream (standing duty?). It is possible. Feel free to PM with any more specific questions.

Fetter

Appreciate the replies everyone. Airgreg, I did execute the UTFSF strategy, but my case was slightly different from others; I pretty much failed the Methacholine Challenge. Some other guy posted and asked if there is any hope after failing the methacholine and I never heard back if he was able to improve his results. I think he gave up all together, but I haven't PMed him or anything. It is really discouraging though, especially when you can forget you have asthma because it doesn't affect you until you go to the doctor and have to check the box...while you wonder why out of all people...you had to be the one with asthma.

GMan1976

Banned
...while you wonder why out of all people...you had to be the one with asthma.

Darwin? :icon_tong

Just kidding man... well, I hope things work out for you. The one thing I've learned over the last 8 1/2 yrs in the Navy is that sometimes the seemingly unwaiverable has a loophole. I'd get knee deep in some BUMED instructions and try to find something... anything... that might give you a leg to stand on.

supplyteacher

Vasopro

Now, this is just some info, so take it for what it's worth. A friend of mine (although he's SWO) had asthma problems as a kid and then they never showed back up. Recently he had some breathing issues (although it wasn't necessarily asthma) and his doctor told him to take Vasopro and to not tell the Navy about it and it seems to be helping. Not sure if this would help in your situation with clearing up stuff so you can retake that little breathing test, but, it's worth asking your doctor about it.

Fetter

Vasopro, interesting. I think I'll look into it, but I don't know that taking something to temporarily reduce my asthma symptoms is the right thing to do. I might pass the methacholine test after popping the pills, but what if I get retested sometime down the road and I fail it. I've heard of so many pilots who got dishonorably discharged for keeping things like that a secret. What if I get in a high performance aircraft and for some unlikely reason actually had an asthma attack? Can you say "F*cked?"

I'll check on it though, thanks

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
Sure, I'll jump in here. I'm kind of in the same boat as you Fetter. I'm 20 now, had "asthma" or what they thought was asthma when I was in fifth grade. Only gave me problems in the winter. Now, no problems. I'm planning on being extremely persistent when I start to get my BDCP stuff in line. I'm not going to take no for an answer. I am going to push until I can't push anymore, and hopefully that will be the exact moment they give me an SNA slot. Forgive me for sounding desperate, but the guys that want it the most get it. Few exceptions to that, but man if you want it, go after it until you've got it! I know I am.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The key here is "juvenile asthma". Juvenile asthma is waiverable, sometimes with a stroke of the pen. Make very certain you explain the last time you had a problem. Don't mention having the inhaler around for the last 10 years if you haven't used it. Don't mention any special tests you have taken unless they ask, then be honest. Make sure they know about your physical activity level. The key is "no restrictions to physical activity". They may not even make you take any tests. Don't sweat it too much.