• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Auto, Auto, Auto...

MasterBates

Heck, the 300' I did a real auto from, I did not have time to get scared.. Auto...FLARE...BANG. About as fast as it takes most people to read those words. From 100-150, even less.

MasterBates

Go to the back and get your coffee.

EDIT: This comment made more sense when it was in another thread. E6flyer is a girly-man and talk of helo flying made him sick.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I wonder what the scenario is for a dual-engined a/c having to auto below 300' is, other than taking damage while OEI already.

Pags

N/A
pilot
or shitty gas, but i'd like to think you'd have at least a little bit of advanced notice with that.

hscs

pilot
Or just OEI, when you are really heavy in the desert in the summer and don't have time or the ability to dump/jettison...

MasterBates

The real auto was a civvie Bell 204.

Brand new engine, just out of "FCF". HP fuel pump shaft broke, resulting in flameout at 3-400 feet ATL (Above Tree Level). Did a 0-0 to the tops of the trees, and pulled back stick and put it in tail first.

Bounced down thru trees and ended up stuck between two large pines about 10 feet up. Lot of smoke, kicked off the pilot door and got out. Slipped on oil on the skid, fell on rock and broke femur.

hscs

pilot
Hell of a way to break the leg...

Guess that old adage of the flight not being done till the debrief is complete holds true..

hscs

pilot
Yeah, or just having to take the 5 sec to hold down the dump button in the 60S. Always hated that switch -- much prefer the legacy, red, guarded switch.

MasterBates

Or 3900# in the main cell, that only dumps at 836-1000 ppm. If you lose an engine on takeoff in summertime gulf conditions, you stand a decent chance of going swimming.