• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

auto disqualification for aviation

Forza1

good morning all. my son is currently at OCS. He was admitted on a waiver for potential aviation. He during covid (high school senior year) developed some anxiety and was treated through college with medication (which he's been off for over a year) but still talked to therapist until recently from what i've seen on some of these threads it seems like NAMI will not allow waiver for flying at all even with time away from treatment ? He is trying to see options as he goes through OCS and not sure if they look at it one by one or auto disqualify? he scored really high in his aviation tests. I guess the question is over time even if other than aviation would he ever be able to try again if enough time passed and couldn't' fly ? he threw out this site to me and thought i may be able to pass some info onto him as he's out of communication for a bit Thanks for your consideration

exNavyOffRec

good morning all. my son is currently at OCS. He was admitted on a waiver for potential aviation. He during covid (high school senior year) developed some anxiety and was treated through college with medication (which he's been off for over a year) but still talked to therapist until recently from what i've seen on some of these threads it seems like NAMI will not allow waiver for flying at all even with time away from treatment ? He is trying to see options as he goes through OCS and not sure if they look at it one by one or auto disqualify? he scored really high in his aviation tests. I guess the question is over time even if other than aviation would he ever be able to try again if enough time passed and couldn't' fly ? he threw out this site to me and thought i may be able to pass some info onto him as he's out of communication for a bit Thanks for your consideration
He would not have been sent to OCS if Navy medical didn't think he had a reasonable chance of being cleared by NAMI. While looking at the waiver guide is good for certain things in this case looking at it won't really help as they will review all the documents to try and understand what was going on in his head, it is more complex than most medical issues.

He just needs to do the best at OCS that he can.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Something is fishy here. Another parent posted roughly the same question on reddit but swap out mental health with vision, roughly the posts took place at the same time...

Forza1

He would not have been sent to OCS if Navy medical didn't think he had a reasonable chance of being cleared by NAMI. While looking at the waiver guide is good for certain things in this case looking at it won't really help as they will review all the documents to try and understand what was going on in his head, it is more complex than most medical issues.

Thanks

Forza1

Got it thanks !

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
If he's at OCS there's a possibility he will be NPQed but there's also a chance that he will be fine. It's up to the doctors at NAMI now. If he is NPQed he will likely still be offered the chance to redesignate to another community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you have a better word?
Perhaps you’d consider… coincidence? Is there some nefarious angle that you’ve imagined where a secret cabal of parents is conspiring to infiltrate both Reddit and AW to solidify their clutches on the levers of international power? Is that the kind of fishy you’ve imagined applies to this post?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Perhaps you’d consider… coincidence? Is there some nefarious angle that you’ve imagined where a secret cabal of parents is conspiring to infiltrate both Reddit and AW to solidify their clutches on the levers of international power? Is that the kind of fishy you’ve imagined applies to this post?

Just thought it was interesting, as if a series of OCS kids who were whammies mailed/called/etc. their parents and told them to get social media or website accounts to ask about options.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just thought it was interesting, as if a series of OCS kids who were whammies mailed/called/etc. their parents and told them to get social media or website accounts to ask about options.
Yes, fascinating that of the hundreds and hundreds of students that go through OCS this year, two of them might have parents that are inquisitive about two completely different potentially disqualifying issues. I mean, what are the odds of that happening? It’s kind of mind blowing to even think about. I’m sure someone will run the numbers to let us know just how astonished we should all be.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Yes, fascinating that of the hundreds and hundreds of students that go through OCS this year, two of them might have parents that are inquisitive about two completely different potentially disqualifying issues. I mean, what are the odds of that happening? It’s kind of mind blowing to even think about. I’m sure someone will run the numbers to let us know just how astonished we should all be.
.042%