• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automatic Ground Collision Avoidance System

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
So I wonder how they tested this....

"Ok guys, today I want you to go to afterburner and point at the ground...it'll recover, I promise!" :eek:

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Viper's, Raptor's, and Lightnings'ssss (I call them Makos) will be getting computer upgrades to allow hal to prevent the pilot from crashing into the ground.
http://presszoom.com/story_138653.html

At last year's Tailhook convention, I flew the Suphornet simulation with this software during simulated ACM and a LOW level. It was actually pretty decent. Betty would let you know if you were getting into an unrecoverable parameter.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Is it just me or does the pilot in that T-Birds video look like he has serious man-boobs?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
For testing, the 60's GPWS lets us input an artificial deck (which also lets you input an increased safety factor for any given mission).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For testing, the 60's GPWS lets us input an artificial deck (which also lets you input an increased safety factor for any given mission).

Is there some kind of droop vs. ground-smacking software value that helps, or is it a <SYSTEM.......FULL COLLECTIVE UP NOW> type command?

hscs

pilot
And how does the H60 version react for rapidly climbing terrain in a TERF situation, or would the system be turned off?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Is there some kind of droop vs. ground-smacking software value that helps, or is it a <SYSTEM.......FULL COLLECTIVE UP NOW> type command?

This is just a GPWS - if she thinks you are about to become gravity-challenged she says "Power, Power" in a fairly annoying voice.

And how does the H60 version react for rapidly climbing terrain in a TERF situation, or would the system be turned off?

Personally, I have only done very basic software testing in preparation for whatever HX-21's test plan is (I've never read it, don't even know if it is approved or when they plan to do it). We turn the audio off every flight, and if we forget she will remind us by triggering off when we first lift into a hover. I don't know IOC for the fleet or what the plan for it is, but I don't think VX-1 has even started with it as far as tactics go.

(If somebody has been paying more attention to it by all means fill us in, but it just hasn't been much of a priority in my corner of the world).

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of bitching betty... even though our TAWS system in the COD gives out erroneous "<chirp chirp> too low, terrain" or "bank angle, bank angle" what I found to be rather annoying was our TCAS system.

My copilot was flying left-seat out to the boat today and as we're rolling around into the groove she (betty) starts going off "traffic, traffic" and "increase veritcal speed." Gee, thanks. Fortunately it didn't phase him and he got an OK-3.

What does it say about a system that you accept the fact that the warnings are erroneous. Sure we gripe it, but pretty soon it will be in the culture to ignore warnings rather than actually paying attention to them.