• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Communitys: Navy Vs. Marines

jbright44

I've searched a bit on this board and haven't really seen this topic discussed directly so I figured I'd ask.

What are the big differences in the two communities? I've heard lots of things but I'm trying to sort out fact from fiction. While the quality of training is the same (from an avaiation standpoint) what are the biggest mission, lifestyle, and long term career path differences. I've heard the stories that say the Marines are underfunded and get "leftovers" so to speak. Is that true? What is the difference between Marine and Navy missions as far as aviators are concerned? What is the quality of life like for each branch? How do they compare? What type of career path do you take in the Navy after you've reached a point where you are in the upper ranks and you aren't flying as much anymore? What about the Marines? How is "non flight time" spent in the Navy? Marines? Obviously you are not flying all the time. Who gets to fly more?

These are the questions I'm trying to get answered. Any and all help is appreciated

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
Please tell me you mean Navy has better haircuts...

If by "better" you mean "better for your wallet" (i.e., once a year, vice once a week), then (than? thin? thane?) yes, the Navy has better haircuts. :icon_brav :moptop_12

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
If by "better" you mean "better for your wallet" (i.e., once a year, vice once a week), then (than? thin? thane?) yes, the Navy has better haircuts. :icon_brav :moptop_12

Sorry bro, but the high and tight is hardly good looking. One of our sim IPs here LOVES to make fun of Marines or Navy with sharp high and tights. "So, what's it like to never get laid?". Funny guy.

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
Sorry bro, but the high and tight is hardly good looking.

No, but it is functional, though not as functional as the Carville Cueball. (However, since I am not a lance corporal anymore, those days are over for me.) I will concede that the "horseshoe" cut, popular in the Camp Geiger region, is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

One of our sim IPs here LOVES to make fun of Marines or Navy with sharp high and tights. "So, what's it like to never get laid?". Funny guy.

Maybe if I make the conscious decision to retire in Meridian Mississippi, I'll be qualified to come up with a witty reply to that one. And since that'll never happen, I'll just consider it a missed opportunity. Oh, well.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
No, but it is functional, though not as functional as the Carville Cueball. (However, since I am not a lance corporal anymore, those days are over for me.) I will concede that the "horseshoe" cut, popular in the Camp Geiger region, is about the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

True, very functional. I won't lie, I don't have awesome hair or anything, I have a close cut. No high and tight, but close enough that I don't have to comb my hair in the morning, which is really what it's all about :)

What's the deal with the "horseshoe" anyway? Looks like they stole it from Army Airborne units. I agree, ugliest, stupidest thing you can do.

Now the Carville Cueball, that's a cut!

Maybe if I make the conscious decision to retire in Meridian Mississippi, I'll be qualified to come up with a witty reply to that one. And since that'll never happen, I'll just consider it a missed opportunity. Oh, well.

Just for saying that, you will end up in Meridian in some way or another. They DO train enlisted Marines here.

KBayDog

Fly Navy said:
Just for saying that, you will end up in Meridian in some way or another. They DO train enlisted Marines here.

Yeah...no.

Marines are trained in Every Clime and Place (Ooh Rah, Motivate, KILL KILL KILL!); Meridian is no exception. However, KBayDog will leave the Meridian training to some other motivated Devil Dogs, good to go?

Haha - Here I am, talking smack about a place I have never been before. (I did see a sign for it on my way to Jackson once, but that's the extent of my experience.) Perhaps, just for grins and giggles, I'll drop by for fuel sometime in my mighty Sea Ranger, enroute to someplace actually worth going. (Maybe I'll even request to buzz the tower...inverted. :D)