• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Communitys: Navy Vs. Marines

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I have stopped overnight in mighty Meridian for gas. While the HoJo's bar was hoppin' (the fact that a Howard Johnson's is the hottest spot in town speaks for itself), I'll leave long term stays there for others. Back to the original point, anyone who's voluntarily settled there should not be talking trash about not getting laid.

No disrespect to those active duty doing their military PCS there, but those sim guys have issues if, after 20-odd years in, seeing the world, PCSing all over, they decide to finally retire and set up permanently in....MERIDIAN. Before I get more hate, I have the same feelings about J-actionville. I'm quite fond of it on a semi-long-term basis, but I can't imagine staying here 'till it's daisy-pushing time.

KBayDog

phrogdriver said:
I'm quite fond of it on a semi-long-term basis, but I can't imagine staying here 'till it's daisy-pushing time.

Where do you see yourself finally planting your roots?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
No disrespect to those active duty doing their military PCS there, but those sim guys have issues if, after 20-odd years in, seeing the world, PCSing all over, they decide to finally retire and set up permanently in....MERIDIAN. Before I get more hate, I have the same feelings about J-actionville. I'm quite fond of it on a semi-long-term basis, but I can't imagine staying here 'till it's daisy-pushing time.

It is an odd place to retire... then again it isn't... it's small and quiet and military friendly. Not my choice... buy hey to each their own I guess. That being said, the sim guys probably get paid pretty well from Lockheed to be sim IPs, and they still love teaching us how to fly. Passion or money over crappy place to live? Maybe. I'd rather be in Key West though :)

Lawman

None
jbright44 said:
I didn't really see much in there relating to the specifics of my questions. So does anyone care to actually answer the questions? Haircuts aren't really a deciding factor for me.

JB, most of the joking about haircuts and such was basically the veteren posters on this forum trying to bring a little light hearted humor into a topic that has a history of devolving into a flame war. Everybody wants to think they are the best, everybody is wrong.

Comes down to how do you want to best serve the branch of the service your in.

Navy Air - Exists to provide Control of the highseas and to Allow for a Strike Capability from the Ocean. As a Naval Aviator you will either carry out one of these missions are operate in a capacity to support one of these missions. Tanker guys pass gas to Strikers so they can carry out the Strike element...ect.

Marine Air - Exists soley for the protection, mobility, and increased capability of the Marine on the ground. Marines dont operate in the huge strategic mission the Air Force likes to grand stand on. Marine Air means your either going to take men/supplies/ect it and from where they need to be to conduct their mission, your going to excecute direct support for them in roles like CAS flying Helo or fixed wing assets *(warheads on foreheads)* or your going to operate an aircraft that aids the previous two assets in conducting their missions (KC-130 for example) Or a Meriad of other platforms that are their to support Marine Air so that it can better support the man on the ground.

Basically it comes down to what kind of role do you want in your branch of the Service. Me, I wanted to support the man on the ground in the best capacity I have. For some guys their best capacity would be intel, or logistics, I have the aptitude for Air so Im gonna go for Air. And no Im by no means an expert and there are little nueances in each service that I didnt account for as Im trying to handle a broad question with a broad answer. Just dont go Army Air and everybody on this site will respect your decision ;)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jbright44 said:
I didn't really see much in there relating to the specifics of my questions. So does anyone care to actually answer the questions? Haircuts aren't really a deciding factor for me.
I understand where you're coming from, but folks around here rarely want to spend their time answering some of the questions which have been discussed ad infinitum on AW. The search function is your friend. Long story-short, there are definite quality of life differences between the two services, but I think you'd be hard pressed to say one is worse or better than the other - just different. Marines might sleep in tents at times, but most Navy guys are going to spend lots of time underway - choose your poison. As far as flying goes, I would imagine that both services offer the same opportunities to fly, and similar career paths, but there are a thousand variables for both sides of that coin as well. Mission is similar, but Marines focus on supporting their troops on the ground, while the Navy is more oriented towards strike warfare. Bottom line, each service has A/A and A/G fast movers as well as helo and other support role platforms. As a navy guy, I will definitely say our culture is more relaxed and less uptight than the Marines, but I'm sure they have their own slant on that issue. The Marines pride themselves on doing more with less and they do sometimes pinch pennies (and steal my bike). Hope that helps you out some. Use the search function!

Brett