• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Policy for Women

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoastieG

Good day everyone. I am asking if I can get some opinions if not straight regulations stating the policy of women flying Marine Corps aircraft. I am currently working toward being a qualified applicant for military aviation, however, I would appreciate any information about this. ;)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There are no restrictions on women flying any aircraft in the Navy or Marine aircraft that I know of, including jets or attack helos. The restictions were lifted in the early 90's. The only limitation would be whether or not you physically qualified, including whether you are not too big or too small. The only reason that I mention that is some petite women I have personally known have been limited to non ejection seat aircraft, they were too small for the seats.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
There was only one female, fixed-wing pilot on my last deployement, and she flew Marine Hornets. I'm pretty sure you don't have any regs to worry about that men don't have to worry about.

Now fix your avatar and get that nasty helo outta there.

CoastieG

Thanks for the information. I was told by a OSO that there were no bars against women but I allways get a second opinion. Do you know what the physical requirments are??? What kind of PT Test do I need to pass?

***I like my Helo!!!! :icon_rage

Road Program

None
The only reason helos fly is they are so ugly that the earth repels them.

I may not like them, but I know what retreating blade stall is. Learning that has been the greatest accomplishment of my life so far.

Crowbar

None
CoastieG said:
Thanks for the information. I was told by a OSO that there were no bars against women but I allways get a second opinion. Do you know what the physical requirments are??? What kind of PT Test do I need to pass?

Scary that you would double check a Marine officer with information from an internet forum.

As far as the physical requirements, you have to take (and pass) a full flight physical. ("He's a good man, Jeffrey, and thorough"). If you poke around on the site some, you can find plenty of information/arguments about flight physicals and what they entail.

There's no specific Physical Fitness Test (PFT) for Marines in the air wing. It's all the same. Just to get into OCS you need to be closer to maxing the PFT than to just passing it. To max for women, you have to do a flexed arm hang for 70 seconds, 100 crunches in 2 minutes, and run 3 miles in 21:00 minutes. That will get you 300 points, the minimum acceptable score for OCS is 225.

Clux4

Banned
Road Program said:
There was only one female, fixed-wing pilot on my last deployement, and she flew Marine Hornets. I'm pretty sure you don't have any regs to worry about that men don't have to worry about.

Now fix your avatar and get that nasty helo outta there.

I think I know who you talking about. Her call sign is "STUMP"

Clux4

Banned
I am thinking so, she was the first female hornet driver to fly with a female backsitter.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like Flash said, the only restriction that can keep women out of tactical jets is the weight issue. Overall the minimum weight for NAs is 100 lbs per OPNAV (235 max). If I recall from the seat briefs, the min weight for the SJU-17 is 135, but it can be waivered to 100 (even though judging by most navy women, 135 wouldn't exclude too many) -- page 8-11 in OPNAVINST 3710.7T if you care to look it up.

/hope that helps

And Road Program... just curious since you're razzin' helo guys - what is it exactly that you fly?

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Road Program said:

I may not like them, but I know what retreating blade stall is. Learning that has been the greatest accomplishment of my life so far.

Karma's gonna get you. You make fun of helos now, you may end up with them later.

Road Program

None
Red, if I end with helos, there will be a big problem since I'm a SNFO.

Clux...we're thinking of different people. The Marine squadron we had onboard was all single seaters.

CoastieG

"Scary that you would double check a Marine officer with information from an internet forum."

I seek information from all sources, but that dosn't mean I take everything at full face value. Besides real knowledge comes from experiance, not an internet forum, or a recruiter. hidden agendas, hidden agendas.....

Still, I appreciate the info though :)

Have a nice day.

CoastieG

I doubt you would be shooing the ulgly helo away when your butt is gulping down salt water, and being pounded the sea. :icon_rage Some people call our Red dolphins (HH-65) "screaming **** cans" but trust me, thats the only sound I want to hear when I am drowning.

I have an idea of what "retreating blade stall" is. But I will look it up and post it.

Does anybody have any suggestions on good books to read about helicoper aviation? ISB numbers would be helpfull.

:)

Road Program

None
The first time I rode on a helo, I puked into a pretty plastic bag. I blame the chiefs from the night before who said, "Oh, you're going to your first ship? Here...have a drink." It was all downhill after that. Then the next day while I'm waiting for the bird to be ready, I walked into the squadron's store and bought a sandwich. A tuna sandwich. Big mistake.

My next experience in a helo wasn't a whole lot better, but at least I didn't throw up this time. Nothing like a nice long flight from the NAG to Bahrain. I don't know how those C/M/SH-53 guys do it. I've heard Phrogs are worse, but I've never ridden in one and I don't want.

Trust me, if I helo has to plunk me out of the water, I'll be very happy to see it. Under any other circumstances, though, I'll do what I can to avoid them.

And before anyone else gets their underoos in a twist about my comment on helos fly, that one was given to me by a helo pilot, my first department head and the coolest guy I have ever worked for.

Status
Not open for further replies.