• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Flashlight Color

gtg941f

pilot
Just a quick question out of curiosity: what color do aviator cockpit flashlights need to be? If i recall it was red or green? I could of course be way off.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gtg941f said:
Just a quick question out of curiosity: what color do aviator cockpit flashlights need to be? If i recall it was red or green? I could of course be way off.
White for preflight, then green for flight since most folks are NVG capable, otherwise red is the default inflight color.

Brett

gtg941f

pilot
Thanks Brett and phoenix!

I guess my intuition was sort of right for the very reason Brett described to allow for use of NVGs.

I was just curious because a buddy of mine was claiming that the use of white was permitted at all times. Not really sure if that's true (he's not military), but I wasn't about to squable with him as I suspected that generally most military aviators used red.

Pags

N/A
pilot
gtg941f said:
Thanks Brett and phoenix!

I guess my intuition was sort of right for the very reason Brett described to allow for use of NVGs.

I was just curious because a buddy of mine was claiming that the use of white was permitted at all times. Not really sure if that's true (he's not military), but I wasn't about to squable with him as I suspected that generally most military aviators used red.
red used to be the color to use in flight since it didn't degrade your night vision, but it's not NVD compatible, so now you need to use green.

Bevo16

pilot
You use white on preflight so you can tell what kind of fluid you are leaking. Never trust an aircraft that is not leaking. It's when the leak stops that you know you have trouble.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
White for pre-flight as some hydraulic fluids are red. You would never see the leak in red light.

Then I flew with red light lens at night. Had the flashlight turned on for the cat shot, affixed to the front of my SV-2.

gtg941f

pilot
So is it pretty much personal choice for inflight color? Red vs green? Or is it now mandated that green be used for NVG use (regardless of platform)? I would have assumed that green only be forced upon the helo community.

Sorry for the continued questions. Just looking for a definite answer, that's all :)

gtg941f

pilot
Bevo said:
You use white on preflight so you can tell what kind of fluid you are leaking. Never trust an aircraft that is not leaking. It's when the leak stops that you know you have trouble.

I hear this quite often. I find it disturbing... :D

sarnav

Gerber makes a good light that is half the size of a small Sure-Fire that has a rotating lens that is white/red/green/blue. It is pretty cheap and runs off one battery and I have had good luck with it on ships, dont know how it would transfer to the Aviation side of the house but it might be one to consider.

NavyLonghorn

gtg941f said:
So is it pretty much personal choice for inflight color? Red vs green? Or is it now mandated that green be used for NVG use (regardless of platform)? I would have assumed that green only be forced upon the helo community.

Sorry for the continued questions. Just looking for a definite answer, that's all :)

You can use red.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gtg941f said:

Let's use some common sense here, people. If you fly an NVG capable aircraft (pretty much all jets and helos), you're going to have a green flashlight. Why would you want to use red?

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
gtg941f said:

The 90-degree flashlight on the AirSave vest MUST be white with a Green attachment (screws onto the bottom). At least with the MH-60S it must.

Within the vest, there is a small maglight type of flashlight that has a twist-type red option. In my 3 years of fleet experience for my first sea tour, I never used this flashlight.

Hope that helps.
Dan