• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Flashlight Color

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
The 90-degree flashlight on the AirSave vest MUST be white with a Green attachment (screws onto the bottom). At least with the MH-60S it must.

Within the vest, there is a small maglight type of flashlight that has a twist-type red option. In my 3 years of fleet experience for my first sea tour, I never used this flashlight.

Hope that helps.
Dan
Is that codified in your SOP or something? As far as I know, it's not written like that anywhere in my community - just common sense. Red light + NVGs=BAD. ;) Speaking of putting goofy things in SOP, I had a CO that put a "No listening to the stereo in the jet below 10K FT" line in our SOP. :D

Brett

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Is that codified in your SOP or something?

No, but you have to have a white light and there's only one filter screwed to the bottom of the flashlight...our green lens is super-glued into that filter...thus, you would have no option for a red light...even if you wanted to...

Speaking of putting goofy things in SOP, I had a CO that put a "No listening to the stereo in the jet below 10K FT" line in our SOP

That's actually a good idea, as we have some talented crewmen who have spliced their ipods into the ICS stations in the cabin...definitly required for a 4+ hr starboard-D pattern.

~D

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
In the P-3, I rigged up cables to hook my laptop up to the VDC for display on all stations (on AIP aircraft), and hook up audio into Conf 2. The transit to and from onstation flew by.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
If you fly an NVG capable aircraft (pretty much all jets and helos), you're going to have a green flashlight.

Brett

However, just to clarify, just because your light is green, doesn't mean it's NVG compatible. Generally not a problem w/ Navy issue, but if you go commercial on the street, it might cause problems.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Also, the shoes will go bonkers if you show white light above decks at night. Well, they'll go bonkers about any light, but white always seemed to freak them out the most.

I haven't seen red lights around for a long time, myself. Second Gatordev on the "not all green is NVG-compatible." I've never had to go commercial for any lights, though.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
Also, the shoes will go bonkers if you show white light above decks at night. Well, they'll go bonkers about any light, but white always seemed to freak them out the most.

And you've reminded me of my "fun with shoes" episodes I would have. We'd be operating all blacked out in "tactical Group III mode," and I'd go out to the flight deck and start preflighting the bird w/ my wimpy MagLite white lense. It would be so dark out there that you couldn't see another merchant or fishing vessel more than two miles away, and they had their running lights on. But sure enough, the shoes would freak out at seeing the light "flashing" on the rotor hub. Really it was just me moving the light around, but since the camera is IR, it looks really bright. So, after telling the TAO to pack sand or the bird wouldn't fly, each morning after that, I would intentionally shine my light at the camera, just to see how "really" important it was. Funny how only one TAO would actually call down and complain.