• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Kind of Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok kiddies and old men. A lot of the recent threads have been well lame causing me to spend my time on this site on the Private Aviators Forum but the I thought that is cheating the next generation of my knowledge, experience and all around great guyness as well as some others here who sahre these qualities. So here it is this thread will discuss Aviation Stuff (amazing huh) We will talk about things like "It sure was dark the other night when the boat tried to kill me" and things like "So I was drunk at the Miramar Oclub and........." and "Listen to waht we did to the XO's desk this one time"
I think everyone is getting the point. Anyone is welcome and all topics entertained but think twice type once but please leave the slide rules and your copy of Janes in the other room.

GO!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Me too but I'll be up again soon. No I wont be tellign that story for a while.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So I was flying down to Key West on my Primary XC, we had just passed over marathon, and my head is filled with visions of duval st and all it's splendor. So, I call Key West Approach, and request the break entry, because it seems like a much cooler way to get into boca chica than the tacan. So, I fly my break and after my landing tower tells me to take the midfield taxiway, go over the helo pad, and then look for the lineman. Well, I'm apporaching midfield and trying to look at the airport diagram as I taxi and look for this taxiway in the dark. I ask my IP if he knows where we should go and he says he doesn't know. So, I see some blue lights right about where they should be and the IP says to go for it. As soon as I complete my turn, I realize I'm now on the off duty. We turn around, but there's a plane on short final. So, we sit on the off duty looking like jackasses as this other T-34 lands and then asks for a progressive taxi; genius. So, after tower laughs at us a bit, we find the follow me truck and get to our spot. So much for looking cool. Ifelt pretty stupid until my friend shows up in the bar telling me about how they had to get linemen to free them from the arresting hear that they had somehow managed to taxi into.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Geez. What do you think the clearance was between the prop and the equipment?

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So Im taxiing the mighty T-34 out to runway 03 It hink in Corpus and I get to the run up ready to spin around and do my procedures (that whole noewheel thing kicked my @ss for a while). And bang perfect nose wheel couldnt be better I grab my checklists and the IP say what runway are we using?
ME: Uhhhh 03 Sir
IP: And waht heading are we running up on?
ME: Sir we are dead on Im heading 003 ready too oh wait.....we should be 030.....coming forward (I was pretty good at the come forward and try to align again manuever)
IP: laughing dont bother just go with the checklist

Pags

N/A
pilot
i guess the -34B had nosewheel steering, but I guess the addition of a turboprop broke the bank for the -34C.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
So I was doing a night dual "VFR" XC in an old '76 Piper 140 (no, seriously...) direct from HNL to Hilo, and the cockpit lights failed. "VFR" because there's no such real thing on a cloudy night over water (oh yeah, you all know that). The only light that worked was the VOR backlight, but the VOR itself didn't work either. Luckily I had an L.E.D. headlamp (...headlamp) in my bag, so I dug it out and strapped it on. We were somewhere abeam Maui, and Haleakala eclipsed the town so we couldn't see it, so we decided to continue to Hilo and hope we could keep frequent-enough comms w/ HNL CTR to get away with almost ASR-type guidance without declaring anything. Next thing you know, the DG (HI) starts spinning randomly, and we had to use the compass to reference headings (which we'd noted earlier had a deviation of almost 10 degrees). A few minutes later, when we were abeam some mountain on the big island of Hawaii, CTR tells us "Rdr contact lost, continue on blah blah heading and try to contact Hilo Appch."
[Drumroll, wait for the classic line.........]

So there we were, :icon_tong
No lights, no radar, no radio nav eqpmnt, a ten-degree-erroneous compass lit by an L.E.D. headlamp, asking for radio checks in the blind hoping for a response, with complete blackness in all windows. We finally got a reply at about the same time as the lights of a beechcft came in view heading directly at us. (Turned out a few secs later to be 1,000 ft higher than our alt and climbing, CTR had given Apch a heads-up, who had advised the beech to climb). Closest dam thing to a night trap I can imagine... That whole thing about a good sh!t, a good piss, and a good orgasm all at the same time or whatever.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
So there I was, beer in hand on a late stormy night.... Sh!T out of the blue I remember I have a test tomorrow and there are about 15 ICW's that need to get done.....

Hairriest moment of my life! Of course, I was only able to pull it out as a result of my sick piloting skillz!!!!!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
What the hell is an ICW?

Interactive Courseware or something. We call them CAI here... Computer Aided Instruction. They are life-sucking computer lessons that will drain all energy out of you.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ahh we had seomthing like that at the Cobra RAG first time I had seen it. We jsut had the workbooks for insturments and a couple of lectures for the other academic stuff. Probably the same stuff without the sea stories. Is that old guy who taught T-34 systems at Corpus still there or did they replace him with a mcahine, he was a ncie guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.