• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Retention Poll Results - INTERESTING READ

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Got this from my skipper...Interesting PPT on Aviation Retention Poll Results.

The Excel spreadsheet is open ended comments added to the poll...

Attachments

• Aviator Results Brief-12-15-05.ppt
    255.5 KB · Views: 422
  • Aviator Retention Quick Poll Open-ended comments-12-15-05.xls
    20 KB · Views: 223

Ex Rigger

pilot
I felt like the poll itself was limited by the low number of people being surveyed.....however, the open-ended comments were interesting to read.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Ex Rigger said:
I felt like the poll itself was limited by the low number of people being surveyed.....however, the open-ended comments were interesting to read.

It looked like only 52 of the 99 polled were "eligible" to be included...so I'm thinking that some people who didn't do it were either too busy (surprise surprise) or didn't give 2 $hits.

D

B

Blutonski816

hehe....

I chuckled a bit when one of the reasons stated in the Power Point read:

"My Jet is being decommissioned."

FlyingBeagle

pilot
Do these studies ever result in meaningful change?
Interesting comment about the IA billet. As much as it would suck to get pulled from shore duty, I'd be really pissed if I got over there and my job wasn't even very demanding/important. Does anyone think that these IA billets have more to do with making the Navy look good than actually helping the Army?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
From what I can gather from my buds who are on IA, you are doing something important. It's just dependant on what you think important is. Where my buds have problems is when you get thrown an M-16 and are told to go to it when you have been flying the ball for the past 5 years. What do you know about being a ground pounder. Granted, they train you, but man, to me it seems like those guys are being thrown to the wolves. Sorry for the threadjack, but more to the point, the reasons mentioned above are COMMON. The economy is slowly coming back and that means that more guys will be leaving to go to the private sector. It happens. Plus, with the Navy downsizing, DH tours are going to become harder and harder to get. All of the YG's that are post 9/11 will experience that problem. A lot of guys volunteered and now getting promoted will be a bit more difficult than before. Add to that, you have dudes who don't like the deployments, want more time with their families, hate being COMMO/ADP.....There are others who will stay in. Naval Aviation is not hurting. My YG actually had too many dudes. So, the way I look at it, this is just the normal process for dudes looking to reup or get out. As for the IA's, it looks that that is going to be the norm for a while. So, just suck it up as part of your job.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
goplay234 said:
As for the IA's, it looks that that is going to be the norm for a while. So, just suck it up as part of your job.

Rep points for reminding us that service is just that: service. Nothing against people that decide it's not for them as long as they SERVE the rest of the time they said they'd give. Just like being a reservist now-a-days...it's not just free money.

Bevo16

pilot
goplay234 said:
So, the way I look at it, this is just the normal process for dudes looking to reup or get out. As for the IA's, it looks that that is going to be the norm for a while. So, just suck it up as part of your job.

It's part of the Army's job. They have screwed up their manning and navy officers pay the price. Sweet deal for everyone. The Army gets an officer who does not want to be doing whatever he is out there doing, and the Navy loses a highly trained member of the aviation community. It's a bad deal no matter how you try to spin it.

S.O.B.

pilot
Bevo said:
It's part of the Army's job. They have screwed up their manning and navy officers pay the price. Sweet deal for everyone. The Army gets an officer who does not want to be doing whatever he is out there doing, and the Navy loses a highly trained member of the aviation community. It's a bad deal no matter how you try to spin it.

I’m with you, but the “suck it up” cool-aide drinking
gang, will be all over you as soon as you suggest it’s wrong.

lance

Salary

After looking at the survey I noticed near the end that pay would need a increased minimum of 20k to 30k to keep retention lower.

Can anybody explain how close military pay is with respect to a civilian pay of equal responseability. I know that it may be hard to compare an f-18 to a 737 but are there any comparisons. Is an Aviators pay that much behind that of its civilian counterparts, and if so why are Aviators not payed a competitive salary.

It seems to me that it is costing way more money then it is saving to pay less, if in fact it is at all a problem. Considering you spend 10 million dollars training an aviator and then don't try to protect that investment.

Anybody got anything for me?

Ex Rigger

pilot
I am fairly certain they are talking about bonuses.....but maybe not. The majority of the JOs that were getting out were not pursuing flying jobs. From all the gouge that I've gathered on here your going to be making less money flying in the civilian sector. I think that pay for officers with max flight pay is pretty damn good.......but then I've had E-1 pay before so I may be biased.