• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator Retention Poll Results - INTERESTING READ

Bevo16

pilot
They need to give that bouns money to Army officers so they can keep their guys in and let our pilots and NFO's keep doing what they are trained to do.

KBayDog

It would have been interesting if they had broken the demographics down even further; that is, not just "O-1 to O-3" and "O-4 and Above," but added years of service, family size, community, duty station, etc.

(Then again, with the small, "one-week" sample used, the results probably would have been insignificant anyway.)

S.O.B.

pilot
If this stuff keeps up our best young guys are going to get out, the guys with options. You already here it in the squadrons and I’m talking about FRS, VX, HX type squadrons not VT/HT types (Nothing against VT/HT guys but historically a higher percentage of Training Wing guys get out or pursue careers outside of their community like TAR or SELRES) . Prior enlisted folks like my self don’t really have a choice. It would be financial suicide to get out at 15 years. At 20 or 22 years, whenever the bonus obligation is done….that’s a different story.

I was playing cards with a Marine Corps 53 guy and he said his fleet squadron did a survey and 18 of 20 Captains were getting out. Another factor for the Marine Helo guys is they have no bonus. What a slap in the face for them. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next three years in both the Marine Corps and the Navy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
S.O.B. said:
I was playing cards with a Marine Corps 53 guy and he said his fleet squadron did a survey and 18 of 20 Captains were getting out. Another factor for the Marine Helo guys is they have no bonus. What a slap in the face for them. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next three years in both the Marine Corps and the Navy.

I don't even know how to reply to this. So 18 guys in their FLEET squadron are bitter. I'm sure that's true everywhere. Send them to a shore tour and actually faced w/ work on the outside, and I bet those numbers come down a bit, based on informal discussions in a mixed ready room.

No bonus for Marine helo guys? Not true, this year they upped it to $18K (I think is what it is). That's substantially more than last year of $7K, and screws the guys from last year who just signed, which may be what he's talking about. But overall, the Marine bonus just shot up.

S.O.B.

pilot
gatordev said:
I don't even know how to reply to this. So 18 guys in their FLEET squadron are bitter. I'm sure that's true everywhere. Send them to a shore tour and actually faced w/ work on the outside, and I bet those numbers come down a bit, based on informal discussions in a mixed ready room.

No bonus for Marine helo guys? Not true, this year they upped it to $18K (I think is what it is). That's substantially more than last year of $7K, and screws the guys from last year who just signed, which may be what he's talking about. But overall, the Marine bonus just shot up.

18K? Once or 18K over five years? What’s the disparity between that and their fixed wing bonus? Apparently this guy wasn’t sure about his own bonus and yes he and his fellow JOs were a little bitter they were on their fourth year of sea duty and getting ready to head to the gulf for a third time.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't know what the payout is for Marines, but the Jet guys lost some money on their bonus. Everyone went to the same amount. Helos went up, jets went down, and now everyone is equal.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Marine bonus is 18k for a six year sign up, 10k for a three year sign up. This is for all pilots, a little less money for NFOs.

Not a bad deal but some serious thought before signing up for that much time with out an out.

S.O.B.

pilot
skidkid said:
Marine bonus is 18k for a six year sign up, 10k for a three year sign up. This is for all pilots, a little less money for NFOs.

Not a bad deal but some serious thought before signing up for that much time with out an out.

18K a year for six years?

Recidivist

S.O.B. said:
18K a year for six years?

If that is true, that doesn't really seem to be much of an incentive. Plus, looking at the results from the Navy (granted, not Marines) exit polls, pretty much nobody cares about that much money if they are considering leaving.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
IMHO, it's hard to really draw any conclusions from a survey whose sample size is ~50 people.

Brett

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
IMHO, it's hard to really draw any conclusions from a survey whose sample size is ~50 people.

Brett

What do you know? Nobody wants/needs your opinion - you don't even have a college degree! :D

Recidivist

I think that if you ask 50 people the same question and you get the same answer 50 times you can say you have at least a trend, or a very special sample.
However I concede that the sample size for that particular Q was smaller (because it only included the people who responded that money was a factor). I still think that it is relevent, and statistically you can run T-tests, confidence intervals, etc. even with 50 samples.
In the entirely hypothetical scheme where I had some influence, I would want to see more numbers to draw conclusions that would warrant action.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Bevo said:
It's part of the Army's job. They have screwed up their manning and navy officers pay the price. Sweet deal for everyone. The Army gets an officer who does not want to be doing whatever he is out there doing, and the Navy loses a highly trained member of the aviation community. It's a bad deal no matter how you try to spin it.

I'm with you. Most of us aviators joined the military to serve, via as pilots. There's a reason I didn't join the Army infantry, didn't want to be on the ground with a rifle. I'm going on cruise again because I've got no replacement. The squadron has to borrow an aviator from our sister squadron for cruise because we don't have enough pilots to go around. Yet we send aviators to fight with the Army. I say if the Army wants me, give me an airplane, even an Army aircraft, and I will be more than glad to go fly it in the desert.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
What do you know? Nobody wants/needs your opinion - you don't even have a college degree! :D
Or a HS diploma for that matter. :D

Brett