• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AW rate merger - Questions

brownshoe

Contributor
A-school is hard, but it was some of the most fun I had in the military, I made a lot of great friends.

Me too! Lots of fun, and I met some really great people. I “mess cooked” though, before I was classed up.:) Still, it was fun! Do enlisted men still “mess cook?”:) And (sigh) “Mumbles” you’re not allowed to respond, I know I'm getting older.:icon_tong

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
All I know is that the mess of beer infused brats that I cooked on Friday on the grill turned out amazing......

p.s. I went to Fuddruckers to buy hotdog buns from their bakery.....It makes all the differance!

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Me too! Lots of fun, and I met some really great people. I “mess cooked” though, before I was classed up.:) Still, it was fun! Do enlisted men still “mess cook?”:) And (sigh) “Mumbles” you’re not allowed to respond, I know I'm getting older.:icon_tong

Steve

uhh, no. Not even in bootcamp. Now they hire retarded ex-con's to cook our food. (My apologies to any retarded ex-con's on AW that I may have offended) In OCS the DI's weren't even supposed to yell loudly at us in the chow hall because it got the retards all excited and they wouldn't do dishes. (they still yelled)

In A-school we had "duty section" (read cleaning stations) when we weren't classed up. I found a sweet job as a "barracks yeoman" basically sitting at a desk checking guys in and out. It beat stripping and waxing and I stayed out of trouble.

highside7r

None
USN Dad,
If he needs any other info, I taught at RSS for 4 years, also former HS AW1 prior to switching services and have a very good buddy teaching at Aircrew school. The merger was in the talks but I didn't really get to see any of the changes. I was glad to see the new schoolhouse open, but I'm sure Hurricane Ivan sped that up, as the old schoolhouse didn't fair well.

USN Dad

Again I want to thank everyone for their input and information. I read a post on Navy-Parents.com in the Green Stripe forum regarding a recent graduate of the RSS whose class started with 30 and ended up with 13. So our son is in for some healthy training!

I believe he will do well, he is comfortable in the water and does not get rattled at all. His nickname is Cool Hand Luke at home and his division mates at GL have given the nickname of Mr. Cool. He is calm almost to the point of annoyance - quite unlike me. I am glad he takes after his Mother.

I took the liberty of printing this thread and sent it to him so he can read the history and the future possibilities. I agree with some of you that this sounds like a great time to be in the Helo community.

HooverPilot, I look forward to your input after read up on this at work.

Thanks again to all.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USN Dad,
I'm starting to get some of the info in that I promised. It is a bit COD centric at this point, but here is the info being put out our current aircrewman... I'll post more as I get it/find it.

I had to strip all the pictures out of the brief due to the file size, but I'll e-mail you the whole thing if you need it.

Attachments

• AW conversion cods.ppt
    786.5 KB · Views: 266

USN Dad

HooverPilot,

Thank you for the .ppt presentation. First of all, I had to google COD to find out that is Carrier Onboard Delivery via the Greyhounds. After looking at the presentation I will be searching for lots of acronyms!

Thank you all so much for the info and the "stovepipe" pipelines and crossover detail was very helpful.

I got a letter from my son today posted on Sunday. He specifically asked for articles and information regarding the aircrew rates in order to ask better questions to the dive motivators and interviewers. As a proud Dad I have to share that he got voted for some type of award by his division peers along with his duties as section leader and one of the master of arms. So he is pretty stoked.

My son needed structure and discipline and the Navy has already supplied that. It is obvious that the next step is responsibility and the information you all have shared shows that this will be coming soon in the NACCS, RSS, and assorted other schools depending on his rate. Thanks again.

US Navy Mom

Rescue Swimmer in Pensacola

US Navy Dad,

My son is the one you mentioned on NP website. If you would like to look me up on the NP website and PM me, I would be happy to pass on whatever you need to know. My son just classed up for AWS (Sierra) and will be doing predominately SAR (air and land) of pilots. They also insert and extract the SEAL teams. Tell you son good luck!!! It was a long hard road to here....and he isn't near finished yet. He is scheduled for SERE for Novenber, and then off to FRAC (Fleet Replacement Air Crewman) training for 6 months before he enters the fleet permamently.

Best of luck!!

Redux

I know plenty of ADs and AMs who abhore the thought of being called an AW.

I couldn't imagine it, if I were still in would I have to put my zipper on the side of my pants? :confused: One thing though, Id never even in my prime be able to pass a modern swim qual, I think they're much more stringent now.