• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-17 Over San Diego

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
Just flew over this beauty about a couple hours ago. Looking sweet, although I won't be paying the big bucks to ride.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
very cool... I had a chance to fly in a T-6, a TBM Avenger, and a B-25 when I was a kid. I'd love to fly a warbird again someday.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
A bunch of years ago I scored a ride in the EAA's B-17. Probably will always be one of the more memorable flights in my life. (As well as their Ford Tri Motor, and Spirit of St. Louis rep.)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flew over my house today...took some pics. I'll upload them when I d/l them.
-ea6bflyr ;)

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
We saw it today out near Miramar while we were out hiking. Very cool and impressive.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Saw it flying yesterday when I was headed to the airport, great sight!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here are the pics I promised!

First three were with my Zoom lens, the last one was the first pic I took with the standard 17-55mm lens.

KBayDog

It flew over my house several times each day. Simply awesome.

(I almost called the Miramar tower ODO to file a noise complaint, just for grins.)

kejo

pilot
Yeah! I was wondering if I'd hear about this. This guy flew right over my apartment building downtown several times, pretty low. I noticed all the peds on the sidewalk look up with that same great inquisitive stare many of us still get when we see something unique like that flying overhead. San Dog rocks.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
A couple of years back I had ~$400 burning a hole in my pocket when the B-17 came through to the Manassas airport. A phone call and $400 later, there I found myself, in the bombardier's seat of a B-17G as we flew over the Shennandoah Valley. There are damn few experiences in aviation that come close to that one, at least from a historical perspective - it was something to have an almost 180 degree unobstructed view through the nose. The roar of 4 Wright Cyclones up close is impressive.

My only disappointment was they wouldn't let anyone down into the ball turret...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Side note:

@ 15 years ago while basking in the warm afternoon summer sun on the west side of Whidbey Island .... I went back into the Mouse-House (my rental at the time) to get another libation:

WHEN THE WHOLE PLACE EXPLODED IN A CACOPHONY OF ROARING NOISE AND SCREAMING SEAGULLS !!!!!

I ran back outside and saw the tail "guns" of a B-17 and a B-24 lumbering down the beach, heading south !!!! No higher than 200-300' and basically flyin' parade or a tight cruise!!!

I called the NUW tower to see WTF, over??? They informed me that it was a group of WW2 war reinactors (sp?) flying @ Puget Sound as a prelim to and advertisement for their appearance at an airshow to be held that weekend at Arlington.

TALK ABOUT NOISE!! The sound of those 8 combined big roarin' radials was the equal of any jet that I've ever been buzzed by ... :)