• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-2 Crash Video

nugget81

pilot
I was going to attach this to the original thread, but couldn't find it any longer (google search not an option on AW anymore :confused:)

The B-2 in question starts its roll at about 1:50

http://break.com/index/b2-stealth-bomber-crashes.html?matchid=NTE1MjA1">B2 Stealth Bomber Crashes</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Thanks for posting that Nug.....that must have been a crazy flight control malfunction. I'll bet those guys sucked up quite a bit of seat cushion when the nose pitched up so violently after rotation. I'm sure the guys in that program are very seasoned....I wouldn't think that they would take any first tour guys...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Excellent find! Looks like they had trouble from the moment they took off, almost like something flew off the plane too at takeoff. Also, was it a slower takeoff roll than the first or am I seeing things?

There goes $2 billion!

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Damn...Hal outvoted the pilots on that one. Talk about a worst case scenario flight control malfunction. Good on 'em for getting out safe.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
USAF Says 'Distorted Data' To Blame For Guam B-2 Accident

Fri, 06 Jun '08
Moisture In Transducers Led To Flight Control Errors

The US Air Force says distorted data introduced by a B-2 Spirit's air data system skewed information entering the bomber's flight control computers, ultimately causing the crash of the aircraft on takeoff at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam, February 23. That's the conclusion reached in an Air Combat Command accident investigation report released Thursday.
Moisture in the aircraft's Port Transducer Units during air data calibration distorted the information in the bomber's air data system, causing the flight control computers to calculate an inaccurate airspeed and a negative angle of attack upon takeoff.
According to the report, this caused an, "uncommanded 30 degree nose-high pitch-up on takeoff, causing the aircraft to stall and its subsequent crash."
Earlier reports stating a fire onboard may have contributed to the crash were apparently erroneous. Instead, the USAF says, moisture in the PTUs, inaccurate airspeed, a negative AOA calculation and low altitude/low airspeed were substantially contributing factors in the mishap.
Another substantially contributing factor was the ineffective communication of critical information regarding a suggested technique of turning on pitot heat in order to remove moisture from the PTUs prior to performing an air data calibration.
The pilot received minor injuries, and the co-pilot received a spinal compression fracture during ejection. He was treated at Tripler Army Medical Center, Hawaii, and released. The aircraft was assigned to the 509th Bomb Wing at Whiteman Air Force Base, MO.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Kinda makes you wonder whether the "SMART GUYS" ever considered operating the bird in tropical climes ... :)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kinda makes you wonder whether the "SMART GUYS" ever considered operating the bird in tropical climes ... :)
It's the Air Force. Why do you think they plunked down all that dough for air-conditioned hangars in Diego Garcia? :icon_tong

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Another substantially contributing factor was the ineffective communication of critical information regarding a suggested technique of turning on pitot heat in order to remove moisture from the PTUs prior to performing an air data calibration...

This sounds like an extremely forgiving way of saying "They forgot to turn on the fvcking Pitot heat!"

...but what do I know?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
This sounds like an extremely forgiving way of saying "They forgot to turn on the fvcking Pitot heat!"

...but what do I know?

Heats on, Ice is on, part of the EA-6B pre-take off checklist so I'm sure it's not that simple. Or is it?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Hey...for those of us who still use control wires...:)

Could someone explain the basic operation of one of these types of control systems? I'm guessing its very much like a digital auto pilot with some sorta postion I/P from the controls...