• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

B-2 Crash Video

VFA-203 Forever

So You Like To Put fishsticks in your mouth?
Excellent find! Looks like they had trouble from the moment they took off, almost like something flew off the plane too at takeoff.

I noticed what looked like something coming off too around 1:58-1:59 but thought it actually may have been vapor due to the high AOA on takeoff.

MasterBates

Huggy,

Where do we request one from? I have a hard enough time getting the ones for the aircraft I allegedly fly lately.

HuggyU2

None
MB,
I've never been a "safety guy", but your Wing Safety folks should be able to obtain it from the USAF Safety channels. I'm guessing there is cross-talk between the two. If not, p.m. me, and I'll give you the name/DSN number of our safety office, which you can pass Kingsville flight safety.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
In Naval Aviation we try to ensure that mishap reports stay so super secret that nobody ever gets to read them. That way we can make sure that nobody ever learns anything from them. Even mentioning them (or God forbid drawing conclusions from them) will get the safty nazis all spooled up.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In Naval Aviation we try to ensure that mishap reports stay so super secret that nobody ever gets to read them. That way we can make sure that nobody ever learns anything from them. Even mentioning them (or God forbid drawing conclusions from them) will get the safty nazis all spooled up.

Sounds like that might be a community specific problem. I haven't run into this. Sometimes the problem is whoever wrote the SIR doesn't address everyone that should be addressed, but a phone call to the Safety Center can get you what you need.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Sounds like that might be a community specific problem. I haven't run into this. Sometimes the problem is whoever wrote the SIR doesn't address everyone that should be addressed, but a phone call to the Safety Center can get you what you need.

I don't think that it's community specific. You might be right, though.

I think that it's a result of the message system, excessive fear of the concept of privlidged info, and a stovepipe of information.

The results of these mishap boards should be nearly force fed to pilots. The true facts, contributing factors, and conclusions surrounding any mishap contain lessons for us all. Pilots are in "information pull" mode, when we should be getting answers to mishaps more readily.

Right now, despite many admonitions to the contrary, what we hear is largely word of mouth and speculation about any mishaps that occur.

"His engine quit"......"Those guys flew into the water"...."There was something wrong with his tailrotor".........stuff like that.

Approach magazine does a great job collecting stories about mishaps and other dangerous situations, but that is all voluntary and largely well after the fact.

Our message system, when we can access it, puts out SIRs in a profoundly obtuse fashion. The first 3 pages are generally addressees and bullshit, and the text is in bizzaro safety geek speak.

WHO: PILOTS AT THE CONTROLS
WHAT: MISAPPLICATION OF CONTROL SURFACES
WHAT: FAILURE TO CONTROL RATE OF DESCENT
WHY: INATTENTION-MISPLACED PRIORITY
WHY: INATTENTION-GENERAL AIRMANSHIP
WHY: FAILURE TO ADHERE TO ESTABLISHED PROCEDURE

Crap like that.

Have you ever read an air force mishap report? The few that I have seen were timely, easy to read, and made a lot of sense. After reading them I said to myself "Wow. I'll be sure not to do that." or "I never thought of that before. I'll be sure to check that out before I do something similar".

In my mind, that's the reason that those things were written. To make a lessons-learned impact on the aviation community and try to make sure that it doesn't happen again.

I've said it before (in a thread intended to cross pollinate mishap LL, but died a quiet death), that there is a lot to be learned by other peoples mishaps, even across communities.

I just feel like getting the actual scoop on what happened in a Naval Aviation mishap is like an Easter egg hunt when they should plaster the results all over every readyroom in navair.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Words...the text is in bizzaro safety geek speak....more words

I see what you're saying. I agree it requires someone to be proactive. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm learning the geek speak right now and I agree. There's a lot of formatting and procedure in the 3750 that is retarded for the end user. But as you no doubt know, the "system" isn't designed for the end user, it's for the bean counters.

As for the super-restricted access to maintain privilege, again, I understand what you're saying, but apparently the feeling is that privilege may not last forever, so there's lots of energy spent on keeping everything "secure" as long as they can.

Apparently getting access to SIRs will eventually be as easy as getting HAZREPs, it's just a matter of getting the system up and running and it's in a beta state not open to the public right now.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just receive the latest edition of POPULAR MECHANICS and there's an interesting article about the B-2 crash in Guam (Pg14 - SEP 08). Conclusion was water intrusion brought the plane down. I couldn't find the article online, but there's a time line at the bottom of this page that's close to the conclusion.

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hasn't this been known for quite some time now? Not trying to be a smart ass here, but reply 5 has the cause in the press release

Probably, but PM does a good job of graphically laying it out.

-ea6bflyr ;)