• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back Already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulman737

CORPSviation said:
how often do they drop people for reasons other than NPQ. Meaning how many drops because the staff thinks they wouldnt make good Marines?

I don't know and my advice is to not worry about it, just go out there and give it your all, that is all you can do

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
I personally know two people who were attrited. Yet both of them, after doing poorly for more than four weeks, actually just DOR'd. They were both on "battalion probation" and ended up getting boarded several times. Yet in the end, the board just ended up asking "do you really want to be here?" And they finally made up their minds then and there to just be done with it.
So I assume that barring a blatant integrity violation, they'll keep you there as long as you can continue to convince them that you want to be there. Heck, I know of a guy that got through after kicking off the season with three pullups on the inventory PFT. He graduated with only nine, but he graduated.
Btw, those other two were enlisted Marines, so nobody's exempt from possible failure.

OVERCOME

Long live the UFC!
CORPSviation said:
how often do they drop people for reasons other than NPQ. Meaning how many drops because the staff thinks they wouldnt make good Marines?
There were four candidates in my platoon who were sent to the board for poor leadership evaluations; only one was sent home. Many DOR'rd simply because they had no desire to be a Marine. They were all smart, in-shape individuals. They just didn't want it. Another candidate was sent home THREE DAYS BEFORE GRADUATION! But that was because he got in a fight on his final liberty with a candidate in a different company.

That's all I'm going to focus on; getting through each day as it comes, whether from chow-to-chow or minute-by-minute. A good buddy of mine just DORed and it was basically the same thing, do you want to be here? And he thought about it for a while and said no and ended up back at home. Whatever happens, just keep moving, just keep plowing ahead. In a weird, twisted sort of way, I am so excited for this opportunity to test myself. See all 2nd incramenters there!

riley

Here is my two cents of advice for those of you aspiring officer candidates. Forget about injuries, foreget about getting NPQ'd, forget about the boards. Just go there and do your best. The last thing you want to do is psych yourself out over something that isn't in your control.

If you are worried about injuries - take care of yourself. Clean any cuts and blisters, take good care of your feet, bring a "foot-aid kit", stretch out at night and before the motivating wake-up call in the morning. Don't be a puss and go to medical for every minor injury. Motrin is your friend. There is a fine line between being stupid and sucking it up.

If you are a sh%%bird, there is no way getting around it - so don't even bother worrying about the boards. You will know within the first day if you have what it takes to succeed.

After the second week your mind and body acclimates to the environment. You get used to the yelling and the hazing - not to say it ever is fun.

Just say to yourself, "Things could always be worse." Have another bite of that heavenly cake they serve in the chow hall. Smile to yourself - you're in God's country.....

SuperStallionIP

Large Steel
pilot
Stop stressing fellas. Enjoy the opportunity. You'll be fine. At least you all have the courage to give it a go. It really is not bad at all. The DIs say some very funny stuff and it gets very difficult to not laugh out loud. Not kidding on that. Best thing you can do is like somebody said earlier in the thread...live from chow to chow. You start to count down the number of chows until graduation. Soon it'll be 5 chows and a wakeup, etc. No big deal.

CUBoulder

Milk Is For Babies...I Drink Beer
I wouldn't worry about injuries too much. While I did get sent home, for every one NPQ it seemed like there was 10 people who were injured but were getting physical therapy every morning for 3 days to a week. The medical staff wants you there and they will do everything possible to keep you from missing training. They put nasty ankle sprains back in action in about 4 days. I just had some bad friggin luck.

SMILE4BULLETS

I'm going Golf 2nd on July 10 so I'll be there with you guys. Don't worry about getting hurt, but be conscious of your tendancies...don't do anything stupid. This is the advice my MOI gave me while recovering from a serious ankle injury in early March '05 (three ruptured ligaments and 8 fractures). So that being said, not psyching yourself out will go a long way.
Also, if you haven't implemented a good stretching program I suggest you get on the OCS website and take a look at theirs. Stretching will prevent all kinds of Ortho. injuries. Just get in there and give it hell. It's only 6 weeks (not to imply it's easy bc God knows it's not).

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I broke my foot on the washboard trail at the end of the crucible ('00 I think). I still finished the run, did the NATO obstacle course, and got my EGA in front of the "Follow Me" statue. They kept me around to graduate with my company. The only events left were the final PFT and the field meet, so they used my initial PFT scores. I think one of the biggest factors were my grades. I had really good grades on all the tests and the speer evals. They never even questioned my desire to be there. If you put everything you have into it, they'll notice and it will pay off in the end. Injuries happen, sh!t happens...so try hard from day 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.