• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Back in the Day.....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... And what's with wearing a cover while climbing into the cockpit?....

I dunno .... they must be supreme tools. :D

wheredowegetsuchmen.jpg

image by A4sForever

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4s beat me to it.
Back in the day it was cool to wear your cover to the aircraft (ashore) - provided you really knew how to wear it [from the pic, A4s obviously knew] - and always if on an XC. :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
A4s beat me to it.
Back in the day it was cool to wear your cover to the aircraft (ashore) - and always if on an XC. :D
ABSOLUTELY, Bruddah.

And ESPECIALLY if transiting or RON'in @ an AF base ... as the Khaki Piss Cutter worn
at a 'rakish angle' w/ Zoom Bag freaked out more than one (AF) Zoomie ...:D

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ABSOLUTELY, Bruddah.

And ESPECIALLY if transiting or RON'in @ an AF base ... as the Khaki Piss Cutter worn
at a 'rakish angle' w/ Zoom Bag freaked out more than one (AF) Zoomie ...:D

Yes it did. And I always absolutely loved it!!!!

Back then, they (asscot wearing zoomies) privately knew who ruled... and they were envious of our records, our success, and our brashness! They were handcuffed by AF bureaucracy. And we just rubbed some more salt into their jealous wounds to make them feel worse. Ye-hah! ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guess I'm not that old school then. Safety Nazis didn't descend on us until 84 as I recall and insist on cranials or helmets on when ascending the ladder except for special occasions like Roster board shoots, which was only time I did it. Not me vvvv but only pic I could find

web_030924-N-5134H-001.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Yes it did. And I always absolutely loved it!!!!

Back then, they (asscot wearing zoomies) privately knew who ruled... and they were envious of our records, our success, and our brashness! They were handcuffed by AF bureaucracy. And we just rubbed some more salt into their jealous wounds to make them feel worse. Ye-hah! ;)

Kind of a threadjack, but this got me to thinking about a conversation I had with the old man a couple of weeks ago.

He flew regular FCFs out of Kisarazu, Japan while he was with the FASRON there. He said they were often "jumped" by AF guys out of nearby Johnson AFB. He told me about the time he was up in an F4U and was jumped by 2 AF F-80s, said with a big grin that he he suckered them into a low level turning fight and "Ate their lunch". :)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Certainly: you wore your piss-cutter to the a/c and then folded it & stuffed it into one of the the lower leg-pockets of your zoom bag. It stayed there until you landed & put it back on at the ramp.

KnightNArmor

ASO
pilot
can you just imagine the looks on said "Safety Nazi" face if you were to just throw a piss cutter on after a flight...... it would almost be worth it.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Was there any one specific incident that caused the cover to be a fod hazard at the ramp? One day I won't be an Ensign anymore and I like to accrue as may knowledges as I can.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Kind of related thread-jack from a VQ story related to me by an instructor in VT-10 circa 87.

He was an EC-130 VQ type so dets to USAF bases around the US was the norm followed by their mind numbing airborne watches towing the VLF tail. Normally they just wore ball caps with bags but some USAF base CO got all pissed saying it looked unprofessional and the next time they showed up that way he would ensure high level attention would be made up the chain if any ballcaps were seen. So next time they deted there they ensure they brought summer white combo covers and sported those around base in their bags for the week. Apparently ball caps become more acceptable quickly. ;)

Another case of the FU attitude the USAF deserves.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Was there any one specific incident that caused the cover to be a fod hazard at the ramp? One day I won't be an Ensign anymore and I like to accrue as may knowledges as I can.
Most likely an accumulation of several 'incidents' ... for the record, I never heard of/saw any 'hat' incidents while I was drivin' for UNCLE.

But then, Momma' didn't raise no fools, and we never wore ball caps, piss-cutters, cowboy hats, Panama hats, clown hats, or anything else on the ramp/deck when engines were turning ... I think more engines were FOD'ed from pens/pencils, MX screws and safety wire left adrift on the ramp than any 'hat' ever caused.

Hat's on the ramp?? Think 'air show' for a comparable situation -- lots of 'hats' everywhere on the ramp, but there's no birds turnin' & burnin' ...

exhelodrvr

pilot
I think more engines were FOD'ed from pens/pencils, MX screws and safety wire left adrift on the ramp than any 'hat' ever caused.

From what I remember from a couple of articles in Approach, FOD was almost never caused by items on the ramp; the vast majority of the FODs were caused by loose screws/panels/tools on the aircraft itself.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
From what I remember from a couple of articles in Approach, FOD was almost never caused by items on the ramp; the vast majority of the FODs were caused by loose screws/panels/tools on the aircraft itself.
Then you reemphasize my point re: covers/hats ...

Some of our MX people always found it more convenient to blame FOD'ed engines on the 'ramp' rather than QA ... those kine' guys are always out there. :)

The four (5?) engines I lost airborne due to FOD while flyin' for UNCLE were all guesstimated to be FOD'ed from 'internal' sources.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
The four (5?) engines I lost airborne due to FOD while flyin' for UNCLE were all guesstimated to be FOD'ed from 'internal' sources.

Nothing like a compressor blade making its way through the rest of the engine to make for an interesting day.