• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP/College/Life Questions

Orzo530

Firstly, to all the people on this board, your wisdom has helped me a lot already. I appreciate the chance to learn from people more experienced than myself. Anyway...

Although this will seem like a no-brainer to some of you, here's my unique dilemma:

I'm currently a cadet in AFROTC, majoring in Communication with minors in Russian and Philosophy. I have a 3.81 GPA and am about to start my sophomore year. I've been awarded a 3-year scholarship (15K/year) for any non-technical major. For whatever reason I'm not sure, but I seem to be gravitating towards the Navy. Maybe it's T Michael's emphasis on the Pentagon's Chair Force, or perhaps the RIFing of AF officers by the dozen (I wouldn't be eligible to be cut for awhile, anyway), but I'm willing to bank on the proud Naval tradition that I've come to love.

I've taken the ASTB ( 4/4/5/48 ), and have applied for a slot in the BDCP. The only catch is that, to be eligible now, I'd have to graduate college in two years, instead of three.

Here're my two questions:

I know my scores aren't the highest, but how do I rate competively to a BDCP selection board?

Would I be throwing away that last year of college if I graduated early? A lot of my friends/family think it'd be wasting the last year of my youth.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate your honest opinions. Thank you!

-Orzo

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Here're my two questions:

I know my scores aren't the highest, but how do I rate competively to a BDCP selection board?

Would I be throwing away that last year of college if I graduated early? A lot of my friends/family think it'd be wasting the last year of my youth.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate your honest opinions. Thank you!

-Orzo

To answer the first, if you're going for Pilot/NFO, you're going to want to take it again.

Second, I don't understand how graduating early is "wasting your youth." Wasting your youth would be taking six years to graduate undergrad while leeching off your parents. Look at it this way, the earlier you commission, the earlier you make O-2. I would say there's nothing wrong with graduating in 3 years, unless you're killing yourself by taking 21 credits a semester to do it, and as a result, have no life.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
With a OAR of 48 you would have a hard time getting selected any way. And if your degree completion plan indicated you were doing three years of undergrad in just two years the board will balk. They are looking at how long your program is supposed to be and how you are going to complete it. Given your strategy, it is unlikely you will be selected. I suppose you have a decision to make on your other offer. That is tough. If you pass on it to wait a couple more semester and better you OAR you are going to be betting on the come with no guarantee. The 'ol bird in the hand scenario should be considered. Good luck!

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
I would like to add the idea of waiting till your junior year to decide for certain.

Having an AFROTC scholarship wrapped up is an awesome thing! Those guys are pretty teriffic, and many people would almost kill to be in your position. If you really want the Navy, though, can you talk to the NROTC guys?

Orzo530

With a OAR of 48 you would have a hard time getting selected any way. And if your degree completion plan indicated you were doing three years of undergrad in just two years the board will balk. They are looking at how long your program is supposed to be and how you are going to complete it. Given your strategy, it is unlikely you will be selected. I suppose you have a decision to make on your other offer. That is tough. If you pass on it to wait a couple more semester and better you OAR you are going to be betting on the come with no guarantee. The 'ol bird in the hand scenario should be considered. Good luck!

Well, if I followed the normal curriculum, I'd graduate in 3 years anyway due to my advanced standing. I took college classes in high school, got some AP credits, took some summer session classes to get ahead. If anything, I thought the board would like the fact that I've made the most of my time.

Thoughts, please?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
<Dons flame suit...:watching_>

Although we are far superior pilots and all that..."That's right...a Naval Aviator."

Don't neglect the Air Force as a great career path. You ALREADY HAVE A SLOT. Sometimes, when I let my mind drift off course rules and my Contact FTI to selection, I wish I was going to select in the Air Force. They have sooooo many great platforms to chose from...15's, 16's, A-10's, B-1's, Raptors and on and on and on....Although I would never steer anyone away from the blue and gold that has become my home...I would take a VERY hard look at where you are before jumping ship..or golf cart...or hell....you know what I mean.

Having an AFROTC scholarship wrapped up is an awesome thing!

He's right you know. Think really hard about why it is that you want to go Navy...if its just because of us making jokes and talking trash...that ain't good enough IMHO. That's what other service do. And besides, if that is the only reason, you need to develop some intestinal fortitude before flight school...or it will be rough.;) Good luck. Keep us posted.

Orzo530

Ah, I do love the Air Force too...

I certainly wouldn't switch to the Navy just because of insults...as long as I wear those AF blues you'll still hear me use the term "squid" on a regular basis :icon_tong

But seriously...I really want to be a military aviator. I do have my foot in the door with the Air Force, but once I sign that contract they own me, no guarantees (except a guarantee to serve, which I'm proud to do no matter what). Maybe it's just the pre-contracting pressures mounting on me! :)

BTW - landing on a carrier is badass, no questions about it.

Either way, I appreciate your (collective) help. I'll keep you guys posted!

pdx

HSM Pilot
They have sooooo many great platforms to chose from...15's, 16's, A-10's, B-1's, Raptors and on and on and on...

C-5, KC-10, KC-135, C-17, C-141, C-9, C-21, and on and on and on...

Don't forget that Air Combat Command is the smaller slice of the pie chart. Also, you might want to look more at the missions. For example, what mission does the awesome F-15 perform? I'll give you a hint ... it isn't very awesome.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't forget that Air Combat Command is the smaller slice of the pie chart.

Well aware...my brother is a KC-135 pilot and squadron xo. (Can't keep track of what the AF actualy calls it...);)

What is wrong with the F-15's mission. Just curious. (Probably ignorant of something here) I mean granted, we haven't had an enemy to truly challenge us as far as air superiority goes in a while...is that what you mean?

In any case...my point was...there are many more choices of platform in the Air Force. That...can hardly be a bad thing.

Orzo530

Well aware...my brother is a KC-135 pilot and squadron xo. (Can't keep track of what the AF actualy calls it...);)

Squadron Vice commander?

For example, what mission does the awesome F-15 perform? I'll give you a hint ... it isn't very awesome.

Who cares? Lockheed wants to make a UAV version of the JSF and put us all out of business, anyway. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, if I followed the normal curriculum, I'd graduate in 3 years anyway due to my advanced standing. I took college classes in high school, got some AP credits, took some summer session classes to get ahead. If anything, I thought the board would like the fact that I've made the most of my time.

Thoughts, please?

Ok, let me clear up my post. If you carried some credit into a program, best example is a transfet from a JC, then obivously, you don't start over. Four year program, one year of credit, finish in three years. If you put anything more then a normal course load and a couple common summer classes in your degree completion plan, they will take a very hard look at it. They want you to graduate on time. You can put down all sorts of stuff on your degree completion plan, but if they think it won't come off, like summer classes that aren't offered like you planned, or you just decide to take that summer vaction to HI and spend your BDCP money, you will not graduated on time. Your completion plan should be as routine as possible.

Orzo530

Ok, let me clear up my post. If you carried some credit into a program, best example is a transfet from a JC, then obivously, you don't start over. Four year program, one year of credit, finish in three years. If you put anything more then a normal course load and a couple common summer classes in your degree completion plan, they will take a very hard look at it. They want you to graduate on time. You can put down all sorts of stuff on your degree completion plan, but if they think it won't come off, like summer classes that aren't offered like you planned, or you just decide to take that summer vaction to HI and spend your BDCP money, you will not graduated on time. Your completion plan should be as routine as possible.

As of right now, I am entering my second year with full junior standing (i.e. a totally normal degree completion plan from now on, without relying on anything extra.)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well then, it sounds like your DCP wouldn't be out of line. Improve the OAR and give it a shot. Good luck.

pdx

HSM Pilot
What is wrong with the F-15's mission. Just curious. (Probably ignorant of something here) I mean granted, we haven't had an enemy to truly challenge us as far as air superiority goes in a while...is that what you mean?

Well, F-15s get to do some cool training, but their actual mission is air patrol. They spend hours burning holes in the sky over the white house, etc. Sounds like starboard-D in the stratosphere to me. I'm sure some people are satisfied just to be in a jet like the F-15, but I am a lot more interested in the mission. I want to DO something. In contrast, look at the F/A-18. They still train for ACM missions (which they currently don't do), but they also get to put bombs on target.

In any case...my point was...there are many more choices of platform in the Air Force. That...can hardly be a bad thing.

Sure, having more platform choices is good. My point was that selecting any tactical platform is difficult in the AF. Before you can do select any of the aircraft you mentioned, you have to select T-38s for advanced, and those seats are as rare as T-45 seats are in the Navy. I have seen some people post things like "if you want jets, go AF." As long as you broaden your definition of jets to include anything with a jet engine, it's true.