• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

best lip light/boom mic light

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I think I used the grimes lights in the sim one time. Benefits of a glass cockpit, I guess.

As for Purdue's issue, there is a different style of liplight where the lights are in a triangle formation and the switch is much easier to trigger. Your PRs should know about it.

MasterBates

IN the B model, you had to stick them in the spot next to your head, and aim it at the BDHI and AI.

And when you turn you head if you are tall you knock the light out of alignment. I understood that and the filters were a "make it work NOW" fix TEN YEARS AGO but really... How hard is it to replace the non-NVG compatible bulbs in the dash with NVG bulbs.

Not my problem anymore, but it does frustrate me knowing that they can't/won't fix the problem.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I hate my liplight...

it is useful, but I've never been able to get that switch to work with my lip. My lip just pushes the whole boom away from my face.

I end up looking like a retard trying to smack myself in the face to get it on or off... taking my hand off the collective to do so.

I really like my $5 NVD green fingerlight I got off eBay in primary... but, it's only useful if I'm not at the controls.

I'd take your helmet to the PRs and have them tighten your boom joint screw. That should help significantly. Otherwise, just smack your face like you already do. That's what I do at least 50% of the time. It's not that big a deal to take your hand off the collective. Also, keep in mind that lip lights can run for several days, so having it on the whole flight isn't unheard of (when tactics allow, obviously).

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
I'd take your helmet to the PRs and have them tighten your boom joint screw. That should help significantly. Otherwise, just smack your face like you already do. That's what I do at least 50% of the time. It's not that big a deal to take your hand off the collective. Also, keep in mind that lip lights can run for several days, so having it on the whole flight isn't unheard of (when tactics allow, obviously).

I did... I was told that the joint cannot be tightened. I don't know if it's shitty design, or if I just have a bad boom... but I've lived with it thus far...

phrogpilot73

I did... I was told that the joint cannot be tightened. I don't know if it's shitty design, or if I just have a bad boom... but I've lived with it thus far...
I'd say it's time for a new boom/mic. I can tighten the screw down so that it's hard damn work to get my mic to move...

phrogpilot73

I'm actually a little curious about how tight everything is going to be come next drill weekend. Apparently, my helmet was Not RFI (maybe that 3 years off/in a storage area had something to do with it) and couldn't be repaired, so I'm going to have a brand new helmet...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm actually a little curious about how tight everything is going to be come next drill weekend. Apparently, my helmet was Not RFI (maybe that 3 years off/in a storage area had something to do with it) and couldn't be repaired, so I'm going to have a brand new helmet...

I just went through that. Overall, it was pretty painless, other than my boom mic hitting the amp now every time I swing it down from the "stowed" position. Not sure how your helmets fit you generally, but I'd pay attention to the neck strap. I was supposed to fly goggles last night for the first time (got canceled) and I forgot to have them tighten the strap up a bit. In the past, that's resulted in me wearing my goggles on my nose.