• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to become a P-3 pilot?

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I've kind of been curious about the selection process too. I automatically know to do my absolute best no matter what in both flying and academics. But when primary is over, and they are determing which students go where, do they go down the list, starting from the class leader (in grades) and work their way down to the bottom? Is that the only factor involved?

The only reason I ask is this: (And I know its waaaay different, because this example is from when I was an enlisted COD crewman) After aircrew school, I went to Jet Mechanic school. In my class of 30, there was only one other air crewman, the rest were ground pounders. Day one of mech school, they said that the class leader would get automatic E-4 advancement and the choice of orders would work their way from the top down. Well, I held up my end of the bargain, getting top of the class with a 98% class average (and did get E-4 advancement, which was huge being an E-1!). So the deal was this: There were two guys and two sets of orders. Me being the class leader, and him barely passing mech school. One set was to VRC-30 Det 5 in Japan, the other was VRC-30 homegaurd in San Diego. I so desperately wanted to stay in the states, and more than anything did not want to get stuck in Asia. So naturally, I said San Diego!!! The next day I came in they said I had to go to Japan because he was married with a kid and it was cheaper for the navy to move a single guy to Japan rather than a family of 3. They funny thing is they wanted to go to Japan. Even with that factor, there was no chance. That seems ridiculous to me to save only a few thousand dollars. In all actuality, it probably would have been cheaper for them to go to Japan with San Diego's crazy BAH rates!! Sorry if that was a blog, but it still pisses me off, even though I liked the way things have turned out for me.

So the actual question was, do they take that stuff into consideration at the end of primary as well?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're first in your class, you get your choice. Unless your choice isn't available that week. Other than that, they'll consider your desires, but ultimately you're just a warm body and you go where they need a warm body to go.

Everyone seems to think that there's a lot of agonizing and careful consideration when assignments are made. There ain't. You can play all the "make my record look better" games you want, not gonna really matter. Every week a new crop of cones comes through, and you get routed where you get routed.

*With the possible exception of the RAG-to-Fleet transition. There really is some thought put into that. In Tailhook communities, if a squadron is on cruise or will leave shortly after you get there, they'll want guys who did good at the Boat and will be ready on arrival. Likewise good ball flyers if the squadron needs an FNG LSO. There's some NSS quality-spread juggling in some communities, and they may look more closely at quality-of-life issues since you're going somewhere for the long haul. But at the end, it's still needs (whims) of the Navy.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Grown man naked......Turkish prison.....there seems to be a recurring theme from these jets guys. It makes me wonder if jets make you do more than poo....

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grown man naked......Turkish prison.....there seems to be a recurring theme from these jets guys. It makes me wonder if jets make you do more than poo....

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Turkish prison...naked men....makes sense why they can't hold said poo in....

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jive.JPG