• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to get into ROTC?

smatts

Well right now I am going into my freshmen year of college at a local community college to help save money. This money I have saved is helping me towards finishing getting my private pilot's license.

Throughout High School I had about a 3.6 - 3.8 GPA(not sure exact). I took the highest availabe math courses and some advanced physics / biology courses. (Not sure if ROTC looks at high school after taking college courses?)

I am shooting to get a 4.0 throughout college, I will be devoting all my time to pilot's license / studying. I am looking to transfer out of the community college either after 1 or 2 years, which one would be better considering I am going for a ROTC scholarship? I will apply everywhere and anywhere that offers the program.

In college I am taking the basic run of the mill, needed to graduate classes (english, physcology, etc) but I will have higher-level math and science once again. I am looking to major in a Computer / Aerospace field.

I am just wondering what you think my best chances are at getting an ROTC scholarship? The best route to take and all? Thank you for your time.

Edit: I am looking to become a pilot and not sit on the ground, if you couldnt have guessed :p

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Well right now I am going into my freshmen year of college at a local community college to help save money. This money I have saved is helping me towards finishing getting my private pilot's license.

Throughout High School I had about a 3.6 - 3.8 GPA(not sure exact). I took the highest availabe math courses and some advanced physics / biology courses. (Not sure if ROTC looks at high school after taking college courses?)

I am shooting to get a 4.0 throughout college, I will be devoting all my time to pilot's license / studying. I am looking to transfer out of the community college either after 1 or 2 years, which one would be better considering I am going for a ROTC scholarship? I will apply everywhere and anywhere that offers the program.

In college I am taking the basic run of the mill, needed to graduate classes (english, physcology, etc) but I will have higher-level math and science once again. I am looking to major in a Computer / Aerospace field.

I am just wondering what you think my best chances are at getting an ROTC scholarship? The best route to take and all? Thank you for your time.

Smatts,

First off, welcome to AW.com, its a great resource to use. I was in a similar situation and I can pass on some information I learned and maybe it will help.

I would recommend taking a math class ( Calc I or Calc II ) if you are going to apply for the NROTC scholarship. Good grades in college will help your scholarship package, but they will still look at your standardized test scores and your high school GPA. I took the ACT again after I left high school and ended up doing the best I had ever done, so if you are lacking in that area maybe give it a shot.

Even though you are at a community college you will still be applying for the nationally awarded scholarship. If you haven't done so I would recommend filling out the application on the NROTC homepage ASAP. They have boards starting soon and you have a better chance the earlier you get your package complete.

Try to get a scholarship nationally before joining a NROTC unit. It is harder to get a scholarship once you are involved versus coming in with one. If it does come to that, major in something technical and do well to be competitive for a scholarship.

If you have anymore specific questions feel free to PM me! Good luck.

-HD

kissarmy5689

Hey HD-

I'm 15 and right now I'm going into sophomore year and unlike last year I've decided I'm devoting all my time to homework and a good work ethic in school to get my GPA up. I'm a good student and I'm average physically, but don't do any sports. I looked at the training requiredments and the time inbetween and they're a cakewalk. I'm just wondering how much does the NROTC look at sports when you apply for the scholarship?

-Joe

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Hey HD-

I'm 15 and right now I'm going into sophomore year and unlike last year I've decided I'm devoting all my time to homework and a good work ethic in school to get my GPA up. I'm a good student and I'm average physically, but don't do any sports. I looked at the training requiredments and the time inbetween and they're a cakewalk. I'm just wondering how much does the NROTC look at sports when you apply for the scholarship?

-Joe

Sports are looking at pretty favorably. I didn't have any sports and I still got selected but every interview they asked me about sports. Sports do a couple of good things for your scholarship package: They show a level of physical fitness and they can also provide an icebreaker when it comes to conversation. The biggest regret I have from High School is sitting on my butt all the time. Play a sport if you can, but don't sacrifice your grades for it by any means!

-HD

kissarmy5689

thanks for the advice- what was your GPA and test scores then?

I'll probably go out for baseball or something at the end of the year because cross country (i'm not a great runner AT ALL, but i need to do something) is already signed up for and starts tomorrow:(.

How many interviews did you go through and when were they in the application/acceptance process?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
thanks for the advice- what was your GPA and test scores then?

I'll probably go out for baseball or something at the end of the year because cross country (i'm not a great runner AT ALL, but i need to do something) is already signed up for and starts tomorrow:(.

How many interviews did you go through and when were they in the application/acceptance process?

I'm loving this, ya'll are letting me be a post whore! I had a 31 on the ACT and a 4.24 GPA. I went through two interviews for the NROTC application. One for the package and then one for the early selection. I didn't wear a suit to the first one and he advised me that I should dress up for my next interview.. oops!

kissarmy5689

I'm loving this, ya'll are letting me be a post whore! I had a 31 on the ACT and a 4.24 GPA. I went through two interviews for the NROTC application. One for the package and then one for the early selection. I didn't wear a suit to the first one and he advised me that I should dress up for my next interview.. oops!

:eek: 4.24 GPA!!! wow i'm screwed i've got a 3.61 (right now but if i get a 4.0 after this year [not hard] i'll have a 3.8). did they have any hesitation when they selected you because of the sports? what college did you get into? what are you doing now? how was your NROTC experience?

sorry for the Q's

-Joe

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Play a sport, or two, go out become an eagle scout (I wasn't one but its a big deal), do anything. All of your activities carry a certain point value, the more points you have the stronger candidate you are and it can make up for slightly lower grades. Certain things carry more weight than others. Hope this helps. I didn't do ROTC, but I got the scholarship. Hope it helps.

kissarmy5689

thanks for the advice- even if i havent played baseball for 6-7 years i'm up for the challenge because i know my arm is better than a lot of kids that play and could either catch or pitch.

do they factor in volunteer service too?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Back to the original question....

Find out what recruiting district you are in and give them a call. Since you will already have at least 1, and maybe 2 years of college complete you could look towards a 2 years scholarship plus extended benefits. You probably wont finish your engineering degree with only 2 years at a regular college. That being said, I'm not sure if the 2 year scholarship still exists. Thats why you need to talk to your local recruiting disctrict

PM me if you need any help.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Do your first year CP and get a 3 year schol.

Edit: I am looking to become a pilot and not sit on the ground, if you couldnt have guessed :p

One of the best and most assured ways of getting a scholarship, and better kept secrets still - is to a. get accepted to the university or college of your choice then, b. Enroll in NROTC in the College Program, c. do well as a Mid, keep up your grades, show enthusiasm, d. apply for three year scholarship - which if a-c are fulfilled, should be a no-brainer.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
The biggest regret I have from High School is sitting on my butt all the time. Play a sport if you can, but don't sacrifice your grades for it by any means!

-HD

It's funny you mention this. People have said that you do well academically while playing a sport...I found this to be true. When I was in high school, 3 of 4 years, I only played a fall sport. My grades were easily better during the fall term as I had practice or games right after school, went home and ate, then did homework. When I didn't have a sport, I'd be home by 2:45 or so and figure "man, I've got all day to do my homework." And I probably started it later than when I was playing a sport.

Final thought: Balancing sports with school work teaches you time management, which is invaluable when you get to college.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I did almost the same thing that you are planning to do....first 2 years at a cc while enrolled in a part 141 flight school. I got my commercial license and instrument rating, and took a lot of my lower division math & science classes in the mean time. I applied to the NROTC program at my school of choice during the spring of my 2nd year and ended up coming in as a college programmer. I was picked up for scholarship very quickly once I started and I would definitely attribute this to 3 factors (the first two being the most important):

1) I took almost all of my NROTC-required Calc and physics classes before I even began my first year of NROTC

2) I got nearly a 4.0 during those 2 years of comm college (including the calc and physics classes)

3) I am/was an engineering major, which probably made a small difference when it came to scholarship selection

In general (or at least it has been my experience) the NROTC program looks highly upon those who finish these requirements earlier rather than later. The guys that came into my unit with me who were fresh out of high school even could attest to this. A couple of them took their first year of Calc and Physics right away (and did well) and they all were awarded scholarships during freshman/4c year. Those who waited to get into Physics and their last term of Calc until 3/c year generally either 1) Picked up scholarship at the last possible date, or 2) Didn't pick up scholarship at all and were disenrolled from the NROTC program. It is getting more competitive by the day so anything that you can do to set yourself apart from the masses will be beneficial. This is not a hard and fast rule, but I would strongly consider getting everything out of the way that you can before enrolling in NROTC. Another thing to think about it the limit on credits that NROTC imposes on transfer students. I can't remember the number (I think it was 90-ish credit hours) but it worked out to being before the end of a normal transfer student's sophomore year. In other words, don't take too many credits before you apply....take the ones that count, and don't bog yourself down into too much time before your transfer.