• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to get into ROTC?

Dalamara

Major in Engineering. The Navy LOVES engineering majors right now. I was in your shoes last year... going to a 4 year school, wanted to do NROTC, they didn't have it at my school so I transfered. I was looking into the different options and they pretty much all sucked, except for the Tweedale scholarship. Every unit can grant it, I'm not sure how many they have available, but it'll cover 3 years of school. Make sure you look into this before you have a bunch of college credits... 60 is the deal breaker for the Tweedale.

Anyways I just talked with one of the LT's up here for a while and everything was set. No applications, just one very informal interview with the CO, and I was good to go. The Tweedale is decided all in-house... meaning if your Professor of Naval Science decides that you deserve the scholarship, you get it. Since you're looking into an engineering degree definetly ask about the Tweedale, IMO it's a helluva lot easier and less-complicated than the 2 or 3 year scholarships. Just be sure you don't have over 60 hours.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
WRT the Tweedale scholarship, I decided to turn it down when I first arrived at NROTC.....my advisor really wanted to get me to apply for it, but he kept saying that I needed to simply "express an interest in the submarine service". Though I certainly didn't want to sit in my new CO's office and spew him a line of BS (I have never had any interest in being a bubblehead), the main reason that I chose not to go with this route was that I was afraid of getting pigeonholed into being a nuke option. I don't know if my intuition was correct or not, but it is something to think about. That said, if I were a new freshman today, I would probably take what I can get now....too many kids are getting cut from the program for not picking up anything (Scholarship or Advanced Standing)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add a caveat, don't major in engineering if you don't like it! I'm a history and economics major (which I absolutely love), picked up a scholarship in high school. I know I would be stabbing myself in the eye right now if I was an engineer. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

Itzalex

a major in science or engineering is smiled upon with the navy. and being an eagle scout is rather important bc that award is something that only 3% of the boy scouts who start end up with it i am one if you were wondering. I am not taking the Scholarship program, I decided to make it on my own merits and money to ender the college program and/or advanced standing later on in college. im taking the CLEP exams to get out of some of my courses needed to get my degree.