• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Betcha didn't know this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bevo said:
If you want big cookie, find me some pictures of the U-2 that we modified to fly off of carriers back in the '60's.

u2carrier2.jpg

Bevo16

pilot
Nice job dude. You can go for the bonus prize if you can tell me what plane that is to the left of the U-2 with it's wings folded. My dad has about 500 hours in one of those.

Bevo16

pilot
squeeze, you really must have taken good notes in Lt. Gerken's classes to remember all that one. I am impressed. You can pick up your cookies when you get out here for CQ's.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
squeeze said:
well, a Skyraider shot down a MIG-17, and a Skyhawk shot one down with a rocket.... so I suppose it's up to your idea of 'unconventional'

That's what I was thinking of!

The VA-165 Spad that shot down a MiG was on a working ground suppression for a rescue over N. Vietnam and in that same mission one was chalked up as a probable.

And an A-4 shot down a MiG-17 with a Zuni rocket, while doing flak suppression over Kep, I think it was.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Finally, athread about geeky stuff that I actually know about.

Two A-1 Skyraiders shared a single kill on a Mig-17 in addition to the single A-1 shooting down a Mig-17, I think they were about a year apart. I have a book that lists every kill in Vietnam but I have not yet unpacked it.

The A-4 that shot down the Mig was acutally profiled in the book. Apparently the pilot was startled to find the Mig in front of him an unloaded a whole pod of rockets at him, hitting him with one. The squadron was so excited that they painted a Mig on every A-4 in the squadron.

More unusual kills. Two A-10's were credited with helo kills in the Gulf War. I think one used his cannon and a LGB. I did not see it until recently but a F-15E was also credited with a helo kill as well with an LGB. The best one is also sometimes not officially credited. An EF-111 dove towards the deck with a Iraqi on his tail, pulling out right above the desert floor. The Iraqi did not quite make the pull out and smashed into the ground. A rocks kill is still a kill. The funny thing is that some of the F-15 types apparently claimed it was an F-15 radar that made him do it, I guess they were jealous. One of my former CO's was an exchange guy with EF-111's during the war and told me this in addition to some other interesting tales.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't see the dish on the "Tracker." Surely it's the Trader, right?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ooh I feel stupid now. So is it the S-1 or the C-1?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
kmac said:
Ooh I feel stupid now. So is it the S-1 or the C-1?

I've got no clue... I've been trying to figure it out but there are no distinguishible marks. My guess... C-1. I bet they used it to bring VIPs and observers out to see the landing.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The S-2 Tracker had a bulbous pod on the wing...It's really hard to tell from that pic.
ea6bflyr
usn7.jpg

S-2 Tracker
trader1.jpg

C-1A Trader
VetteMuscle427 said:
C-1A looks the exact same as an S-2. There are really no distinguishing marks or protrusions.

jburnes

This is quite possibly the most interesting thread i've ever read on here. Makes me a little jealous that i'm not going to be a pilot...but you guys get that all the time right?

Status
Not open for further replies.