• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Iron's fate

zoomie08

Fast, Neat, Average...
Didn't the Air Force get rid of their MH-53's recently?

I personally would avoid it. I've seen several get screwed by selecting a dying airframe.

So, would the P-3 be considered a "dying airframe" even though it is getting replaced by a new aircraft?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Select what you want man, you'll just transition to something else when your airframe goes away.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Didn't the Air Force get rid of their MH-53's recently?

So, would the P-3 be considered a "dying airframe" even though it is getting replaced by a new aircraft?

I believe AF is letting the CV-22 take the role of the MH-53J.

The thing about P-3s and the HS community is that yes, they are in fact going away. However, there are plans in place for both communities to replace airframes and move forward. The "scary" thing about HM is that they don't have a plan in place when the music stops.

S.O.B.

pilot
Select what you want man, you'll just transition to something else when your airframe goes away.

How did that work out for the majority of H-3/46 guys. What happens is if you time it right you'll be left with low hours and few options. This select what you want to fly stuff sounds great when you an ENS/JG but when you're looking at competing for DH or Command you don't want to be in a dying airframe/community. That's how you end up in non-flying pain filled terminal staff jobs as an 04/05.

S.O.B.

pilot
I believe AF is letting the CV-22 take the role of the MH-53J.

The thing about P-3s and the HS community is that yes, they are in fact going away. However, there are plans in place for both communities to replace airframes and move forward. The "scary" thing about HM is that they don't have a plan in place when the music stops.

They do have a plan it's just not a good one: Sierra. Again if you're post department head HM you're likely not to command a sixty squadron. I'm not even sure how competitive a 53 guy would be for 60 DH. There's nothing wrong with thinking about where you future community is headed. I know lots of HC 53 guys and HC H3 guys that wish they selected something else.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
At this point I am not planning on a career with big Navy. So if I could do my first flying tour with -53's, then go to fly in either the HTs, VTs or a station pilot (rotors or fixed wing) then get out into the reserves to finish up my time I will be a happy man.

Or maybe I will be the first skipper of a Navy -53K squadron;)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
They do have a plan it's just not a good one: Sierra. Again if you're post department head HM you're likely not to command a sixty squadron. I'm not even sure how competitive a 53 guy would be for 60 DH. There's nothing wrong with thinking about where you future community is headed. I know lots of HC 53 guys and HC H3 guys that wish they selected something else.

The whole point of my statement was to show that the "dying" communites like P-3s and HS are a different animal from HM. P-3s and HS have plans in place, and in the case of HS it's already a reality.

S.O.B.

pilot
The whole point of my statement was to show that the "dying" communites like P-3s and HS are a different animal from HM. P-3s and HS have plans in place, and in the case of HS it's already a reality.

How many p-3 guys will and already have gotten shafted over this transition?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why the heck wouldn't we buy into the -53K program? It's not like the V-22 where it's a whole 'nother community. It's just an upgraded version of an airplane we're already flying. Or is the -60 Mafia just that determined that all other types shall sleep with the fishes?

S.O.B.

pilot
Why the heck wouldn't we buy into the -53K program? It's not like the V-22 where it's a whole 'nother community. It's just an upgraded version of an airplane we're already flying. Or is the -60 Mafia just that determined that all other types shall sleep with the fishes?

I don't know but if we want AMCM the 60's just not going to get it done.

MasterBates

At this point I am not planning on a career with big Navy. So if I could do my first flying tour with -53's, then go to fly in either the HTs, VTs or a station pilot (rotors or fixed wing) then get out into the reserves to finish up my time I will be a happy man.

Or maybe I will be the first skipper of a Navy -53K squadron;)

I'd do what keeps your options open. When I was in your shoes, I was "For sure" getting out at the end of my commitment, (which, strangely enough was today) but then after a while flying, I thought "If I can get out of HSL, I'll stay AD, if not, I'll try to be a reserve VT/HT bum".

Lo and behold, I'm still here, and contracted thru 15 years of service. At which point it would probably be dumb to get out.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Or is the -60 Mafia just that determined that all other types shall sleep with the fishes?

There is no money programmed for a 53k buy. Not impossible to add it, but in this climate I wouldn't call it likely either. Heavy lift for the Navy is very nice to have, but does that = requirement?

I don't know but if we want AMCM the 60's just not going to get it done.

It will do it, but it will just do it poorly (like a lot of its other missions).

I would not follow this advice. If flying a departing model is a life-long dream then by all means do it before that plane goes away. Otherwise, you are better off being an early adopter of a new airframe or going to an established aircraft from a career point of view. Personally, the 46 - 60 transition worked out great for me, but not because of any efforts the Navy made.