• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bioengineering? What do you guys think?

Shishka

Intro: I'm a college freshman trying to get my major figured out. I originally planned on Mechanical Engineering, but now I'm thinking about Bioengineering. My goal is to become a naval aviator (Navy or Marines, don't ask me which :confused:) so I'm trying to figure out some things in regards to an aviator's career or options with a Bioengineering degree.

Bioengineering is a pretty new degree, so I doubt lot of you guys have one or know someone who has one (I could be wrong). But I have a couple questions.

1. Would having a bioengineering degree vs. mechanical or aerospace engineering degree put you into a lower "tier" when applying for things like test pilot school or other "technical" tours (that require, or recommend, an engineering degree). In other words, if they had a guy with a MechE Degree and a guy with a BioE degree and the same credentials, would the guy with the MechE degree get picked? Or is it arbitrary what engineering degree you have as long as it says engineering?

2. Is bioengineering considered a technical degree for BDCP?

Thanks,
Cole

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know about BDCP, but I do know that trying to pick your major based on what TPS wants - when you're a college freshman - is a bit silly. You're a loooooong way from that point in your life, you have no idea if you're even going to get into the Navy. Or get your wings. Or would even be interested in TPS once you learn it's not The Right Stuff shit anymore (if it ever was).

Pick your major based on what you're interested in, would enjoy, and would like to either pursue as a career or for postgrad work in case this Navy thing doesn't pan out.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
1. No.
2. Not sure but I would assume yes.

Do what you enjoy doing. If you choose a degree just because it's technical and end up not enjoying it, then life is going to suck for you. I'm pursuing a degree in CS and actually look forward to most of my homework because I like the topic.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
CS majors got homework? that's news to me.

Engineering is going to require you to take the same/very similar course load until you branch off into your course of study at the junior/senior levels, and as far as I've heard, TPS guys are recruited for an engineering background because they know the vocabulary/scientific processes and are good at technical writing. The differences between a MechE and an AeroE bub aren't a big deal, AFAIK and as far as the Navy is concerned.

This is just coming from a lowly BA degree bub though, so I'm really just pissing on your leg and telling you it's raining.

And yea, do what you want. If you wanna be a bioengineer and make frog balls produce anthrax or something equally ridiculous, have at it. If it's because you think it'll help you be the next Chuck Yeager, you'll be screwed.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
I got my degree in biomedical engineering, which I assume is pretty close to bioengineering. I enjoyed it and it has worked out so far in my aviation training. I'm on my iPhone now, but when I get home tonight Ill give you some more info.

brownshoe

Contributor
And yea, do what you want. If you wanna be a bioengineer and make frog balls produce anthrax or something equally ridiculous, have at it. If it's because you think it'll help you be the next Chuck Yeager, you'll be screwed.

Damn, Brett don't hold back, tell the kid how you really feel.:D

BTW... How'd the photo shoot go?

Steve

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
haha, are we talking about the same CS here? Computer Science?

Hahaha absolutely not. I had a Criminal Science major roommate and thought thats what you were talking about. I think the only homework he ever did consisted of getting falling down drunk and waking up in Jail. My bad. And steve, the photo shoot went awesome, check out the AWG thread, I put a picture of it in there and I'll shoot you a PM with the photogs website. They came out pretty sick.

Shishka

Thanks guys. The reason why I want to switch to Bioengineering is because I'm more interested in it than Mechanical. That's what I'm gonna do then.

Thanks for the advice and D_Rob I look forward to the info.

Thanks!

nugget61

pilot
The only thing I would consider is how new your bioE department is - my school brought theirs online a few years back and they're still stumbling through the dark and the students get screwed left and right, especially with graduating on time. If you do BDCP, you have to get the right graduation semester down from 2 years out. Just food for though.

SynixMan

Mobilizer Extraordinaire
pilot
Contributor
Any kind of 4 Year B.S. Engineering degree is technical, but as others have stated you're too far away to read tea leaves for TPS.

At my school at least, you don't really specialize until midway through your 2nd year (until then, 200 people big classes), and then by 3&4 you're mostly in small classes with the exact same people in your speciality (Electrical and Computer Eng for me) coursework. And even then, BS in Engineering is just scratching the surface of technical specialty work.

In terms of which type of engineering is better, it's really a crapshoot. Most mechanical dudes I knew were big into cars/motor type of stuff, electricals were tech nerds, civils were non-artistic architects, and biomeds were either Pre-Med or just into bio stuff. (FWIW, Bio and Civil had the largest population of attractive women at my engineering school. But that's like picking the fastest Ford Pinto :eek: Overall though, I stuck to working the nursing and arts schools :D) Do what interests you, but don't switch at year 3, you'll probably be stuck another 2-3 years retaking all the speciality classes. They are all equally marketable in the "real world" vs some more general degrees.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
First off, Shishkas are for practice. :)

I thought I was gonna do MechE like you, and didn't really know about BioMed till I got to college. At RPI I was essentially a MechE major who took bio classes. We took classes at the med school in Albany and even got to dissect a pig while it was till alive. I still got to take all the "fun" engineering classes and all that jazz as well.

I liked the idea of BioMed because I saw that as the future of engineering. I was in ROTC at the time and knew I wouldn't be using my degree for 4-10 years after graduation. So I thought why not. I always enjoyed Bio stuff and still do. If I didn't do the Navy I probably would have gone to med school. But it was a good major and I enjoyed it, and yes it did have the largest population of girls in the engineering department.

I'm not really quite sure what I will do with it when I get out. I have thought of getting a more advanced type of Bio degree, which would help. With the degree I have I can get some weird jobs from working on hip implants (which was my senior design project) to working on making cars safer. Things like that. However, one of my friends even got a masters in BioMed and she now works for Xerox...

Anyway, if you like that kind of stuff, your GPA will probably be better, which is a big factor in selection. I think it might have helped in flight school a bit just because the way you learn is similar. While learning how different systems of the body work, you really focus on how it works and memorize that, not so much why it works that way. When learning systems for an aircraft I tend to learn how it works and the why it works that way is not as important. I guess it's kinda similar. I just might be crazy though...

That's my 2.5 cents. If you have any other questions shoot...

Kycntryboy

pilot
I was a Agricultural Biotechnology major, which met the BDCP requirement for a "technical" degree, it is defined by a certain amount of Calc and Physics Classes. I believe......that it is 6 hours of Calc and 10 hours of physics required. That was 6 years ago when I worried about it, switched from Biology to Ag. Bio. for that reason, put me in the 3 year window. No idea about TPS although I have wondered about that stuff myself.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
TPS likes to see Physics, Math, and Engineering. They will take you no matter what degree you have, but you have to prove that you have taken Calc and physics.

From the TPS instruction (http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/2FC74D76-5149-4DCA-B197-2D25CD847A22/0/150062A.pdf)

Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physical
science, or mathematics (may be waived if requirements dictate
and applicant has completed college-level calculus and physics).

I bet that you would have to have some sort of special experience, knowledge, or qual to get that waiver.