• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bioengineering? What do you guys think?

Shishka

Thanks a ton for the info! Pm'd you.

First off, Shishkas are for practice. :)

I thought I was gonna do MechE like you, and didn't really know about BioMed till I got to college. At RPI I was essentially a MechE major who took bio classes. We took classes at the med school in Albany and even got to dissect a pig while it was till alive. I still got to take all the "fun" engineering classes and all that jazz as well.

I liked the idea of BioMed because I saw that as the future of engineering. I was in ROTC at the time and knew I wouldn't be using my degree for 4-10 years after graduation. So I thought why not. I always enjoyed Bio stuff and still do. If I didn't do the Navy I probably would have gone to med school. But it was a good major and I enjoyed it, and yes it did have the largest population of girls in the engineering department.

I'm not really quite sure what I will do with it when I get out. I have thought of getting a more advanced type of Bio degree, which would help. With the degree I have I can get some weird jobs from working on hip implants (which was my senior design project) to working on making cars safer. Things like that. However, one of my friends even got a masters in BioMed and she now works for Xerox...

Anyway, if you like that kind of stuff, your GPA will probably be better, which is a big factor in selection. I think it might have helped in flight school a bit just because the way you learn is similar. While learning how different systems of the body work, you really focus on how it works and memorize that, not so much why it works that way. When learning systems for an aircraft I tend to learn how it works and the why it works that way is not as important. I guess it's kinda similar. I just might be crazy though...

That's my 2.5 cents. If you have any other questions shoot...

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I got a biomed engineering degree as well. Would I recommend it.....not sure. I was BDCP and flight school was fine - so don't knock it thinking you're missing out on essential mech stuff that would help you later or that it's valued more.

However, I find myself wrestling with the idea of how I could use it if I ever get out of the Navy. I think that it's such a rapidly evolving field that being out of it for 10 years would take me out of the game. Mechanical engineering - much more stable. Things don't really change much.

But do what like - you may change your mind with what you want to do in a year or two. Never get trapped doing something you hate because you think it'll help you later. There's no guarantee for later.

PM me if you have any specific questions

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
TPS likes to see Physics, Math, and Engineering. They will take you no matter what degree you have, but you have to prove that you have taken Calc and physics.

From the TPS instruction (http://www.npc.navy.mil/NR/rdonlyres/2FC74D76-5149-4DCA-B197-2D25CD847A22/0/150062A.pdf)

Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, physical
science, or mathematics (may be waived if requirements dictate
and applicant has completed college-level calculus and physics).

I bet that you would have to have some sort of special experience, knowledge, or qual to get that waiver.

Doesn't say anything about actually being good at calc and physics.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Just go Industrial Engineering...that was a good time. Hottest girls in engineering at GA Tech too...

I enjoyed switching my Jr year...made my MIDN 1/C+ year (5th) a blast...

Good luck. Don't fvck it up.

Feet Wet

1. Yes. Don't f'k it all away with an engineering degree. If you REALLY want to impress, then you need to focus on either Criminal Justice, Phys. Ed., or if they still provide such an option: General Studies.

2. No.

All kidding aside, it doesn't matter. Period. Some of the best pilots I have flown with have ranged from Spanish majors to Nuclear Engineering....it just doesn't matter, and if you plan on making it a career, then it REALLY doesn't matter, just get your degree. You'll find out soon enough if you have what it takes.