• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blackburn Buccaneer

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor

Great stuff -- 'cept for the last BUC driver who was generally AFU and grossly overcontrolling power on many passes -- an indication that he's "puckered" -- and also evidently "going to the deck" instead of FLYING THE BALL to touchdown if you listen to the BOSS in the tower ... I heard some calls I thought might be the LSO's ... I just never saw 'em on the deck edge ???

And then ... BINGO pass ... he traps. :D Who sez there's not a God ... :)

GroundPounder

I think that he was on his 6th or 7th attempt and they were going to send him to shore if he didn't make it that time, correct?

How many attempts would a USN pilot get in that type situation? I'm sure that there are a lot of variables, but it would seem that danger would go up with each unsuccesful pass.

It might not translate, but in the civilian world the chances of an accident grow with each attempt at an instrument landing following a missed approach.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
1. ....they were going to send him to shore if he didn't make it that time, correct?

2. How many attempts would a USN pilot get in that type situation? I'm sure that there are a lot of variables, but it would seem that danger would go up with each unsuccesful pass.

3. It might not translate, but in the civilian world the chances of an accident grow with each attempt at an instrument landing following a missed approach.
1. Sounded like it ... at least from the Pri-Fly chit-chat ... again, I'm wondering where the LSO "was" in the evolution ... ???

2. It's hard to say -- there's lots of variables: fuel on board, BINGO distance, WX at the BINGO field, WX at the ship, material status @ the ship (do you have all the wires?), where does the ship have to be at time "X" and do we have time to get pilot "Y" aboard (?), and of course, the all important
"Y" factor ... how is the pilot flying today and what does the LSO "expect" from this Aviator based on past history or recent field bounce sessions ... ??? In other words, is the pilot "workable" and can you "trust" him to listen, respond, and ultimately get aboard? You need to "talk" to a pilot who is getting behind the "mental" power curve -- precisely 'cause you DON'T want each succeeding pass to get "more dangerous" and him to get wound up mentally ... so you "talk" to him, get a feel for where his head is at by listening to his responses, and try to keep him "calm" and not to sweat his previous BOLTERs and/or WAVE-OFFs ...

3. Disagree w/ your call on the airlines ... if by "civilian" you meant "airlines" ... as having faced the situation dozens of times over the years
in civie street, if anything, we'd ratchet it up a few notches after a missed approach and make CERTAIN we "got aboard" as the diverts domestic OR international are always problematical and you've got no ejection seats ... plus there's that little problem of 400 people sitting behind you with each & every one of 'em depending on YOUR skill & cunning to save the day. :D

In over 29 years of flyin' the BIG IRON, I only had to divert a couple of times after repeated missed approaches ... mebbe 3 or 4 ??? One of them was caused by VP Al Gore (seriously) ... that's another reason I didn't vote for him ... :D

Redux

Good post, Casey. I actually worked around the Buccaneer’s when I went to Pensacola for quals! The, Brit’s, once used a “NC-5” to tow a Buccaneer to a ceremony held at the tower. Wasn’t a bad idea… but the “NC-5” was an electrical power unit, not a tow tractor.:) Funny shit! No one said a word… we just kept our yaps shut, and watched the ceremony.

What was really cool… is that the “Brit’s” actually had a rum break right there on the ramp during the afternoon. I kid you not!

Steve

Wow, NC-5 what a piece of crapola! 292 Ford gas engine that required a man or chock to keep speed up on the generator! It was FAST on the flightline though, way faster then any tug!

GroundPounder

3. Disagree w/ your call on the airlines ... if by "civilian" you meant "airlines" ... [/quote]

Should have been more precise, I meant GA, not part 135. Its the real civilians that get into trouble on multiple approaches not you guys. For the most part, I think it can be attributed to the difference between being legal to attempt something vs. the actual ability to perform the task.

I've always read accident reports, and a good portion of them have me wondering what took the person so long to have the accident that they were working up to. We part 91 people give aviation a bad name by scud running, running out of gas, taking off overloaded and out of CG.....etc.

Gainesy

What they didn't make too clear in the vid is that the pilot of the last Bucc was RAF and this was his first ever look at the boat.

Probably why we can't see the LSO, he's hiding in the netting with just his eyes above deck level.:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What they didn't make too clear in the vid is that the pilot of the last Bucc was RAF and this was his first ever look at the boat.

Probably why we can't see the LSO, he's hiding in the netting with just his eyes above deck level.:)

The RAF-flown BUCC experienced not too different results from the squadrons of Marine A-6 & F-4 drivers (one each) I was tasked to CQ off CUBI -- 80% of whom had been wing'ed by the Air Force, had NEVER SEEN THE BLUNT END OF THE BOAT, and were dumped in my lap to "get them ready" for CQ ... the bad thing is -- only about 1/2 of them made the cut and got CQ'ed. All good Aviators for the most part, just a HIGH "pucker factor" and "damaged goods" when it came to the BOAT.
It was a BIG deal at the time and went all the way to the "top".

As far as the LSO's and their positions ... 'LANTFLT had "sunken platforms" w/ the LSO's waving from down in a hole -- supposedly safer (now, do you suppose they hung around the RN & FAA BOATs too much and picked up those "bad habits" :D???) ... while PACFLT BOATs had "flush deck platforms" ... so the LSO could get out, move around the deck, and do the "dance" during a recovery. Up close & personal w/ the landing pilot, if need be ... it seemed like the "worse" the landing pilot was doing, the "closer" we got to him on landing -- sometimes drawing a call from the BOSS to not "stand on the centerline ... " :D

I MUCH preferred the latter , flush-deck platform approach to waving ... :)

lsoplatformaz7.jpg

This is an oddity: a LANTFLT BOAT (SARA) w/ a flush-deck LSO platform ... probably as built & I suspect it was "sunk" later, but I'm not certain ...