• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blackhawk crash at A&M

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
In the last 2 years, the full auto training has come into great use in the HTs. There's been 4 actual engine failures in flight that resulted in no loss of life. One at night, 2 with a full bag and 2 students aboard. That's awesome...and the reason that we will continue to do full autos (single engine trainer will continue to be the staple of helo training).

Civilian training also involves full autorotation training, almost exclusively to paved surfaces (runway or taxiway). Civies that I've talked to think we're crazy for doing ours almost exclusively on grass.

Flugelman

Contributor
In the last 2 years, the full auto training has come into great use in the HTs. There's been 4 actual engine failures in flight that resulted in no loss of life. One at night, 2 with a full bag and 2 students aboard. That's awesome...and the reason that we will continue to do full autos (single engine trainer will continue to be the staple of helo training).

Civilian training also involves full autorotation training, almost exclusively to paved surfaces (runway or taxiway). Civies that I've talked to think we're crazy for doing ours almost exclusively on grass.

What's the difference? I would think that any damage/injury due to a botched practice auto would be almost as bad on grass as on concrete/asphalt. Skids make a difference?:confused:

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
What's the difference? I would think that any damage/injury due to a botched practice auto would be almost as bad on grass as on concrete/asphalt. Skids make a difference?:confused:

Grass sounds softer and the sheer numbers we do make skid shoes (strip of metal along bottom of skids) last longer...

However, especially with students, the room for error IRT yaw and lateral drift is MUCH smaller on grass, making it higher risk. Grass also tends to "grab" based on thickness and height of the grass. However,
one of our major fam training fields is only grass...

Skidding along asphalt or concrete allows for a much safer (although louder) landing with significant yaw/drift, which is why civies usually exclusively use this. Additionally, most places that civies practice at are tower controlled, who isn't going to clear an aircraft to land in a non-movement area. In controlled airspace, practice autorotations can only be done with tower's approval.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
The difference is on paved surfaces if you land a little crooked, the skids are more likely to just slide a little the wrong way. If you land crooked on grass though, your skids can catch a clump of grass or something and dig in. You are then going to roll over. It has happened a few times at Whiting.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
The difference is on paved surfaces if you land a little crooked, the skids are more likely to just slide a little the wrong way. If you land crooked on grass though, your skids can catch a clump of grass or something and dig in. You are then going to roll over. It has happened a few times at Whiting.

Yeah, what he said...a roll over, however, is VERY rare. In fact, there's been as many rollovers in the last 10 years as there has been engine failures.

exhelodrvr

pilot

"In the last 2 years, the full auto training has come into great use in the HTs"
That was a big part of the program back in the "olden days (81-82)." We did full autos in HT-8 (in the 57), but not in HT-18 (UH-1D).

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
"In the last 2 years, the full auto training has come into great use in the HTs"
That was a big part of the program back in the "olden days (81-82)." We did full autos in HT-8 (in the 57), but not in HT-18 (UH-1D).

Yeah, I was emphasizing that there was talk in the NAE about why we do full autos...risk v. benefit. With the 4 engine failures in the last 2 years, that's where the full auto training has probably saved lives.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
In the HTs, we only do full autos in the -57B (the VFR only fam trainer). The -57C is around 200 lb. heavier because of the extra avionics etc. and full autos are prohibited because of the decreased margin for error.

With the -57D coming on line in the next few years, the plan is to unify the two aircraft into one that is both IFR capable and light enough to practice full autos. This will enable us to continue to practice full auto throughtout the sylabus instead of just the first month or two.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
That youtube clip was an eye opener for me. I always envisioned an auto rotation to have much more of a vertical component to it.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I always envisioned an auto rotation to have much more of a vertical component to it.

Ironic, so did a LOT of my on-wings...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Oh $hit...I HAVE CONTROLS..." ... "Yeah, go ahead and start that shutdown checklist...I'll check the isomount and spike well..."

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Ironic, so did a LOT of my on-wings...:eek::eek::eek::eek:

"Oh $hit...I HAVE CONTROLS..." ... "Yeah, go ahead and start that shutdown checklist...I'll check the isomount and spike well..."

Are you saying that doesn't fall under the "technique" portion of flying?