• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood Chits

B

Blutonski816

Okay, I've already read up on the histroy of blood chits and their use all the way from WWII through to today. My question is when is a pilot, NFO, aircrew member, etc. issued their blood chit? IS it a ready room type thing, or is it handed out on the way to the theater of operation or what??

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, I've already read up on the histroy of blood chits and their use all the way from WWII through to today. My question is when is a pilot, NFO, aircrew member, etc. issued their blood chit? IS it a ready room type thing, or is it handed out on the way to the theater of operation or what??
In TACAIR, the PRs will pack it in your vest with your other theater specific gear.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
An accountable item typically issued by the AI in your squadron. Turn in your isoprep, get your blood chit. Don't lose it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Huh !!! Times change .... the only thing we got was extra water bottles, a contraceptive , and good wishes for a safe flight .... :)

phrogpilot73

Because some knuckleheaded Lt lost his, we had to check them out from the S-2 prior to every flight, and turn them back in during our debrief.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Usually picked ours up at the pre-flight Intel brief. Occasionally they came later at sidearm issue.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Not to be a complete moron, but what's a blood chit?

Basically a document written in all the local languages with a big American flag that basically states that you are a Yankee Air Pirate and if they are kind enough to return you to American forces with all your limbs and your balls, then they will be given lots of money (or goats).

The biggest problem I saw with that is it assumes you will be captured by someone who can read.

History wise, they were first used by the AVG (American Volunteer Group) in China during WWII then adopted by the US Armed Forces during Korea and Vietnam.

AVG Blood Chit:
bloodchit.jpg

Translation: This foreign person has come to China to help in the war effort. Soldiers and civilians, one and all, should rescue, protect, and provide him medical care.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
History wise, they were first used by the AVG (American Volunteer Group) in China during WWII then adopted by the US Armed Forces during Korea and Vietnam.

I believe they were used in World War 2 also, because I've seen my late grandfather's and it was written in Japanese. Whether it was widely used or not, I can't tell you.

BigRed389

None
I believe they were used in World War 2 also, because I've seen my late grandfather's and it was written in Japanese. Whether it was widely used or not, I can't tell you.

No way bro. :eek:

That "Japanese" must've been Chinese or some other Oriental language.

And if it was written in Japanese, where were they going to "return" you? The nearest POW camp? :D

And Steve just said they were used in WW2 w/the AVG.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I meant beside with the AVG. My grandfather flew C-47s in the Pacific. Maybe the interpretation is wrong, but I was told it was Japanese. Just going on what I was told and am in no way claiming to be a scholar on Asian languages.
On a side note, does anyone know how they came to be called "blood chits"?

BigRed389

None
Gotcha. Still sounds crazy to me but I wasn't there... desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.