• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blood Chits

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
No way bro. :eek:

That "Japanese" must've been Chinese or some other Oriental language.

And if it was written in Japanese, where were they going to "return" you? The nearest POW camp? :D

And Steve just said they were used in WW2 w/the AVG.

You do realize that when a country goes to war, not every citizen of that country supports that decision, and may even act in a way contrary to supporting the war effort.
It is quite possible that sympathizers exist among the local populace. They may decide to aid a downed aviator for numerous reason (religion, past positive experiences with "enemy" country, pacifists, just plain nice guy, etc.) Sure, contacting the locals in "enemy" territory would be a last resort, but it sure would be nice if your blood chit was in their language.

Roninja

I meant beside with the AVG. My grandfather flew C-47s in the Pacific. Maybe the interpretation is wrong, but I was told it was Japanese. Just going on what I was told and am in no way claiming to be a scholar on Asian languages.
On a side note, does anyone know how they came to be called "blood chits"?
Who was your grandfather may I ask? My Great-Uncle was General Claire Lee Chennault, the head of the AVG/Flying Tigers. It's sad that it wasn't until July 4, 1991, 50 years later, that these men were granted veteran status.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
some of you must have had really motivated PR's/Intel folks. For us, it was an SDO job……when you had a spare minute, put together everyone's stuff, log it out, and then go hunting for folks after the last (typically at the end of an 15-18 hour duty day) flight when they accidentally leave the gun in their survival vest in the PR shop, or worse, lose a bullet somewhere.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
when they accidentally leave the gun in their survival vest in the PR shop, or worse, lose a bullet somewhere.
That would imply being allowed to load one's weapon without being sent home. What a unique concept.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
In SERE school, we were issued a prototype "Blood Chit", evasion map, and survival manual all in one - printed on a large folded sheet of Tyvek - I still have mine. Functioned as a shelter component as well. Genius.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0748.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 27

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who was your grandfather may I ask? My Great-Uncle was General Claire Lee Chennault, the head of the AVG/Flying Tigers. It's sad that it wasn't until July 4, 1991, 50 years later, that these men were granted veteran status.

Though authorized by FDR they were still technically 'mercenaries' and were well compensated for their service (that was a big part of the appeal of the recruiting drive). There were some mixed views on the AVG by many of their contemporaries in the services, 'Pappy' Boyington had to directly appeal to the SECNAV to get back in the Marines after his stint in the AVG, and the USAAF never really welcomed back Chennault with open arms either.

My grandfather flew with the 14th Air Force later in the war and was a lifelong member of the Flying Tigers Association so I am pretty familiar with their history. One of my most treasured possessions is his original flight jacket with the blood chit on the back. A long term project of mine is to get a replica done to wear but that will cost some serious money though which is why I haven't done it yet.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though authorized by FDR they were still technically 'mercenaries' and were well compensated for their service (that was a big part of the appeal of the recruiting drive).
And people still freak out about contractors in CENTCOM doing the same thing 70 years later. :p

Roninja

Though authorized by FDR they were still technically 'mercenaries' and were well compensated for their service (that was a big part of the appeal of the recruiting drive). There were some mixed views on the AVG by many of their contemporaries in the services, 'Pappy' Boyington had to directly appeal to the SECNAV to get back in the Marines after his stint in the AVG, and the USAAF never really welcomed back Chennault with open arms either.

My grandfather flew with the 14th Air Force later in the war and was a lifelong member of the Flying Tigers Association so I am pretty familiar with their history. One of my most treasured possessions is his original flight jacket with the blood chit on the back. A long term project of mine is to get a replica done to wear but that will cost some serious money though which is why I haven't done it yet.
Nice to hear that! It's actually not that expensive unless you get it custom-made by the factory which would cost you over $1000 or more. The jacket can be bought for around $200 and up from US Wings, including shipping. US Wings is the best place to buy the jackets because they make them for the US Government and have awesome customer service. About 17 yrs back, they fixed my A-2 jacket (I needed a rivet put in for the throat latch) for free despite the fact I didn't buy the jacket from them. The blood chit and patches can be bought on Ebay. The most expensive patch without a doubt is the blood chit. A leather one will cost around $40 and up for a really nice one. The other patches would cost between $5-$30 apiece depending on the size and material. You can take all of this to a shoe repair shop, and they'll sew it all on for you for around $50 or so. I had one done recently, and the grand total (including the cost of the jacket, patches, and getting them sewed on), was around $300 or so (mine jacket was a G-1 purchased from US Wings). Not bad for a replica which usually retails for much much more. A replica of a Top Gun G-1 starts at $620. While the AAF primarily wore the A-2, the original AVG Flying Tigers wore an M-422A, the precursor to the G-1. Just to let you know, the original M-422A and later G-1 were made from goatskin with a silk/nylon lining and a genuine mouton collar. Current issue G-1's (issued by the US Government) are made from cowhide with a nylon taffeta lining and synthetic fur collar. A WWII A-2 jacket was made from either horsehide (regulation spec) or goatskin with a cotton poplin lining. Current issue A-2's (issued by the US Government) are made from cowhide with a nylon taffeta lining. In other words, read the description of the jackets listed carefully before you buy. I hope you find this post useful.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
And people still freak out about contractors in CENTCOM doing the same thing 70 years later. :p

Interestingly enough there is a pilot shortage going on over there too now. $750+/ day isn't enough to keep dudes coming back.

There are a bunch of AWers who started their post Navy lives doing that gig before moving on to more Facebookable careers.