• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels fly Super Hornet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They both flew the Phantom back in the day as well. Hopefully the JSF won't get bit by a gas crunch, too. :eek: And as for the 2-seater, didn't they also use it a couple years ago to give ADM Keating a backseat ride in the slot jet? I wonder how often they do that for people . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Blutonski816 said:
Yeah, well, they got that reputation of never missing a show because an aircraft was down...
I heard that they recently used their 2-seat #7 aircraft and re-numbered it to fill in for the #4 slot (which was down).

Earlier this year they lost an aircraft. May have something to do with that.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I caught the most of the Blue Angel special series and it isn't bad at all. It shows the "boss" doing his zen type radio comm during airshow and the selection process. Great aerial shots throughout.

As to new aircraft, Blue Angels have always used aircraft that were available and relatively simple to operate (F-4 experiment for both Blue Angels and Thunderbirds ended in mishaps and removel from use). F/A-18A model is especially modified for Blues and available wthout taking away C models from fleet. I don't agree that they will get JSF when it arrives until all fleet units get them. Aircraft aren't cheap so neither Blues or Thunderbirds will likely showcase the lasted and greatest aircraft anytime soon (both teams operated A-4s and T-38s respectively for long periods of time as a result).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Yeah I doubt they'll be using the JSF anytime soon. Besides, it'll be a couple years before the fleet gets the JSF. It's an exciting plane, especially for the Navy... first time they're going stealth.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
I just saw the first part of the show, and it showed how all the F/A-18s they get are old ones from the fleet that have been replaced by a newer, more combat-ready Hornet. So, theoretically, in the future as the Superhornets age, as soon as there are 8 old ones, I suppose they could start using them, but that is definitely awhile off, and even further off for the JSF's.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well before they would transition to Rhinos (big IF there), they would switch to the older block Charlies. Doesn't that just make sense?

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Actually, the Blues don't always get cast-offs. In fact, they were among the first to get the F-5Fs, and other models before that. The reason they've stuck to the A model Hornets for so long is what somebody mentioned earlier, that they're easy to strip down to just a&p. The avionics are really the only significant improvement of the charlies, and what does that mean to a VFR airshow performer? Only more weight.
I personally doubt they'll get rhinos simply because the only maneuver that I can think of that might benefit from the acquisition would be the high-alpha pass of the solos that transitions into a high-performance climbout of #6 (high show only). Though that would be pretty pleasing to see, with the increased performance of the Super an' all. I'd assume they'll hold out for the F-35 still, mainly because they're looking for quick response time and less overall weight than anything else. That's why they switched to A-4's from F-4J's in the first place. Just my theory/opinion though.

zippy said:
...on the desk behind "Boss" there is a plane on a stick. That plane is a super hornet (Had big square intakes), painted in the Blue Angel scheme.

Yeah, well, I saw a '96 interview with the Boss at the time, and he had an F-14 stick in the Blues scheme on the desk behind him. I think the Bosses get them made for "conceptual entertainment."

Blutonski816 said:
...they got that reputation of never missing a show because an aircraft was down...
I heard that they recently used their 2-seat #7 aircraft and re-numbered it to fill in for the #4 slot (which was down).

And that was less than 12 hrs after #7 broke giving a VIP ride (lost its aux pwr unit). Let's hear it for those enlisted crewmembers, I'd like to give 'em one. They slaved for upwards of 36 hrs straight keeping at least 6 jets airborne. Probably not the first or last time they've had to do that, either.
Those numbers on the side are vinyl, I've seen them switch 'em out in less than 15 min.
They ended up making #4 a hangar queen in Hawaii while the rest continued on the airshow circuit. They dumped a conglomeration of bad parts and one bad engine on it from all the other jets just in the 3 days of actual performance. The Blues seem to go through jets like football players go through mouthguards. A few crewmembers stayed behind for almost 2 weeks until all the replacement parts came in and they got it in working order again. Very impressive teamwork and dedication, those boys.

Fly Navy said:
Earlier this year they lost an aircraft. May have something to do with that.

Actually, they had a left engine come apart from a bird strike over water, and it started inflicting damage on the right side before the pilot could get it back to land, from what I've been told.

DanMa1156

pilot
Contributor
Wow, good information. And yeah, definitely, you gotta give it to the enlisted crewmembers who work on those planes, their service record is impeccable.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
Especially when you consider that the Angels have never cancelled/missed a show due to a maintenance/repair/technical issue.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
Actually, they had a left engine come apart from a bird strike over water, and it started inflicting damage on the right side before the pilot could get it back to land, from what I've been told.

Which means he ejected which means they lost an aircraft.

Mayday

Fly Navy said:
Which means he ejected which means they lost an aircraft.

Uh...
I'm definitely agreeing they lost an aircraft. My point was that the mishap was isolated and independent of the whole '2-seat flying the slot position' jury-rig earlier in the year.
While I'm posting, I'd also like to add that my data on the birdstrike incident was verrrry unofficial (deskpilot grapevine), so if anybody's got the official word (though it's probably kept under wraps) and it disputes this, I'll stand by to haze myself.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
Uh...
I'm definitely agreeing they lost an aircraft. My point was that the mishap was isolated and independent of the whole '2-seat flying the slot position' jury-rig earlier in the year.
While I'm posting, I'd also like to add that my data on the birdstrike incident was verrrry unofficial (deskpilot grapevine), so if anybody's got the official word (though it's probably kept under wraps) and it disputes this, I'll stand by to haze myself.

All about wording dude. The way you wrote that makes it sound like they didn't actually lose it. I think a lot of the official word on that accident is still hush-hush anyway.

Mayday

*gulp*
I see what you mean, and stand corrected.

In Brett's tradition,
'good times'...

Status
Not open for further replies.