• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

quietOne77

Is it even worth it to purchase combat boots before going to OCS since they issue the brown boots instead?

Crowbar

None
YES! If you haven't been running in boots (long distances at a pretty swift pace) before OCS, you will be way behind the power curve.

Brown boots, black boots, Timberlands, just get something to run in so you are used to it and your feet won't be in shock.

itoh

You'll be ahead of most other candidates if you can get a pair of the MARPAT boots before going and have them broken in. My company wasn't allowed to wear the black boots and a lot of candidates really tore their feet up on the first two humps because the boots weren't broken in or they got ill fitting boots. If you can find your size on ebay, preferably the belleville jungles, you should break those in as PT boots and get your knees used to running in hard sole boots.
If you're near a base, you might be able to buy them at cash sales if you explain your situation. I got mine at MCRD SD before Seniors and I am extremely glad that I did. The sizes run about a half size larger than the black jungles if you have to get them online.

hope this helps.
-itoh

flyinsioux

I have been told to get a pair of boots and I have read the forum that BigWorm linked but i am still wondering which style should I get. I heard that black was out last summer till about week five and then the guys could use them for PT only. should I get the jungle boot, the black all leather or some other style?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
http://www.marcorsyscom.usmc.mil/sites/mcub/
Take a gander through the regs. Unless I read it wrong, after this fiscal year is over you can wear the brown boots, or the brown boots.
Ask your OSO if you can show up with a pair of jungles. They are the best all around cheap boot.
After typing Marine boot in yahoo, these came to view - I can't see any difference in what was issued to me. If you can't bring your own, then read what crowbar said.

http://www.soldiercity.com/product_information.asp?number=5308&back=yes&variation=10R&dept=35&last=35

flyinsioux

Thanks BigWorm- hey by the way are you from Colorado or just went to school there? I am from CO Springs but go to school in ND. well anyway thanks for your help

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Yup, born in CO didn't have out of state tuition money. Good luck! It sucks, but looking back it was a lot of fun.
I'm curious to see what happens, a lot of Marines have an attachment with their brand of boots. On the aviation side, after TBS you where the flight suit and flight boots, so it doesn’t matter. I think Frumby was saying here somewhere that he didn’t touch his cammies again till his b-billet.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
some people use 2 pairs of socks. a thin nylon (think pantyhose-like) and a thicker cotton one. that's the setup I used at OCS and never got a single blister. the key is to use powder and take care of your feet. foot problems are probably the number one reason people attrite from OCS. at tbs I used the thorlo boot socks (available at most exchanges -- never seen them at civilian stores) and haven't looked back. they worked fine on runs, humps, and just walking around. two pairs of socks was just a hassle. good luck.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I bought the Thorlo military boot sock as well - Awesome! I got them online, do a search and they'll pop up somewhere.
One thorlo vs. liner and two issue socks. A lot more speed efficient at OCS. Just make sure they are black or green, neons and pinks don't go over well with Sgt Instructors.

wutzu

If I got desert jungles to train, I could wear them at OCS right?

[EDIT] I see I'm not the first to ask...

wutzu

The OCS website recommends bringing a pair of black boots, which are authorized for PT. What I want to know is whether I can bring brown boots instead, since boots that can only be worn for PT seem like a bad investment.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Originally posted by wutzu
The OCS website recommends bringing a pair of black boots, which are authorized for PT. What I want to know is whether I can bring brown boots instead, since boots that can only be worn for PT seem like a bad investment.
e. Optional Boots. Optional boots (black only) may continue to be worn with the combat utility uniform until 1 October 2004. Optional boots (black only) may be worn with camouflage utility uniform until 1 October 2004. The boots may be worn per the following guidance:

(1) All Marines may purchase optional commercially available black leather or black hot weather tropical (jungle) combat boots from any source provided they meet criteria set forth in the following paragraphs. These items will not be used to satisfy minimum requirements. These boots may be worn at the option of the individual whenever combat boots are prescribed/authorized for wear, except that commanders may require the wear of the standard issue boots on specific occasions when uniformity is required, i.e., inspections, parades, ceremonies (as authorized by above timelines).

(2) All optional boots will meet the following general appearance standards. The boots will be of all-black leather or, for hot weather boots, all-black leather with black fabric uppers. Boots with a patent leather or glossy finish are not authorized. Speed laces or eyelet lacing is acceptable. The total height of the boots will be from 8 to 12 inches. Lining, insulation, or padding is optional.

(3) Boots worn under this authority will be functional and suitable for combat and field wear. Examples of boots which do not meet this criteria are lightweight hiking shoes/boots based on running shoe lasts or technology, boots with patent leather and/or zippers, or boots made entirely of canvas and rubber. Boots designed for police and SWAT use in urban areas are not acceptable combat boots because they are not suited for load bearing in rough terrain.

You can look up the rest of the boot requirement (I put the link to the regs previously). Simply being of a brown color won't satisfy what you have to have after this fiscal year. They have to be the MCCB TW or MCCB HW.

Status
Not open for further replies.