• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boys and their pop guns

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
In your scenario, it's the MC, bottom line. As for your HARM vs. bombs issue - that's a huge misconception. Not a ding on you, but just putting it out there. HARM goes guiding on all kinds of things it's not supposed to, so deconfliction and planning is a huge part of employing that weapon. It's probably responsible for a lot more collateral damage percentage wise than JDAM or LGBs. As a result, HARM employment ROE are usually very restrictive and the generals get very nervous when we're using them.

Brett

Good explanation. I have always wondered why the HARM required the entire crew to put it on target.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In your scenario, it's the MC, bottom line. As for your HARM vs. bombs issue - that's a huge misconception. Not a ding on you, but just putting it out there. HARM goes guiding on all kinds of things it's not supposed to, so deconfliction and planning is a huge part of employing that weapon. It's probably responsible for a lot more collateral damage percentage wise than JDAM or LGBs. As a result, HARM employment ROE are usually very restrictive and the generals get very nervous when we're using them.

Brett

I gotcha. So that even further exemplifies why it might matter (depending on the community) on who says you can pull the trigger (inside the aircraft).

So from past posts, I understand that the Prowler guys have MCs and they aren't necessarily the AC, correct? I know the VP community is that way. So how about the VF/VFA communities? I ask from the perspective of not having mission commanders in the community.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I gotcha. So that even further exemplifies why it might matter (depending on the community) on who says you can pull the trigger (inside the aircraft).

So from past posts, I understand that the Prowler guys have MCs and they aren't necessarily the AC, correct? I know the VP community is that way. So how about the VF/VFA communities? I ask from the perspective of not having mission commanders in the community.

That's exactly right. In the case where there happens to be more than one MC in a particular crew, it usually goes by rank seniority, although I've seen some squadrons specifically designate it on the flight sked. Bottom line, MC is responsible for the execution of the mission and will be the guy standing tall if things go awry. In the realm of flight safety, the MC isn't necessarily going to be held accountable for bad piloting, but he'll be judged on the how or why an unsafe situation was allowed to develop. The Prowler community is notorious for ECMOs being back seat drivers, especially with very junior pilots, so there's an expectation that ECMO 1 will talk that pilot through any difficulties. So, if my pilot fvcks away a maneuver, I take it personally and it reflects on me as the ECMO 1. The way our mission unfolds, there's usually very little ambiguity as to what needs to be done, or how to do it (fly here, jam this, shoot that, etc). I've not witnessed any "I'm the MC and we're going to do it my way" kind of behavior in the crews I've been in, although I imagine it does happen from time to time. I think that's more a function of personalities than the organization of the crew concept.

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've not witnessed any "I'm the MC and we're going to do it my way" kind of behavior in the crews I've been in, although I imagine it does happen from time to time. I think that's more a function of personalities than the organization of the crew concept.

I'd hope that's the case in any platform. Thanks for the info.