• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breathing while running

Jameski

Samsonite... I was WAY off!!
Hey all,

This may seem like a weird question but thought some of you might have some insight on this. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve your breathing while running? I never had a problem with this before and now I'm running 6 days a week to gear up for the PRT and OCS and I'm really starting to struggle with not getting enough air in my lungs.

Any suggestions on a good way to breath or how to build up a good "lung capacity"? Does this make sense at all?

I also now have shin splints from running hard on the road but trying to just ice them and do a lot of rowing to let them heal. :)

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Ouch... try running on a softer surface, like a track or chip trail if you have one available. Work up to the road runs in terms of time/distance. Pushing too hard too fast is what gets guys injured.

Something I used to do when running was concentrate on inhaling for 2 steps and exhaling for 2, then when I was really pushing myself I'd inhale for 1 and exhale for 2 (focus your energy on the exhale, and the rest will take care of itself.) After a while, rythmic breathing becomes automatic and makes running easier. The same goes for swimming as well.

Jameski

Thanks guys!

Sorry for the repeat thead on this...I'll check out the PFT forum as well. Yeah, I've been running on a track now but I think I have to take it easy a couple of days... they hurt so bad now that it's almost hard to walk! :icon_hamm Thanks for the advice! :)

GatorBoy44

Jameski,

Hey, I saw you said you were running like six days a week, if you are not used to running six days a week, this could be why you have developed shin splints. Too much, too fast can often lead to overtraining injuries such as shin splints. If you want to keep training six days a week, mix it up, run on MWF and do the rowing machine on the days in between. I hope that your shin splints get better, I know how bad they suck. Good luck.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
As far as your breathing goes, one thing you could work on is running within your breath. If you run as hard as you can all the time, you're going to be out of breath and gasping constantly. If you pull back enough so you feel comfortable--running within your breath--it can be easier to keep a rhythm going.

Something else you could try is a book I've read by a triathlete and Ayurvedic medicine guy called Body, Mind and Sport, which is a good read and addresses this issue as a part of the whole package.

Jameski

Thanks guys! This is good advice! I guess I was thinking I could run hard for the next month to get the best score I could on the PRT. With the shin splints, I'm rowing a lot now.

Just like the past thread about how to make yourself "like" running, I've never been a big fan of it either...oh, well!! :)

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
Running Tips

Edited:

Summary: Recommend you to find running website. They have all that detailed running information.

Coregabo

Also try picking up your knees higher than feels natural. You'll find it makes your stride longer so you run farther for fewer steps. Helped my running (especially sprinting) alot when my lacrosse coach suggested that to us.

BigRed389

None
billthrill1 said:
BigRed. Thanks for that article BIG TIME. I usually just dismiss all diet/cardio/weightlifting advice as people's personal crap that really has no basis.

I read that article and then went out for a jog running like that and I felt so much better. Usually I'm miserable and pissed off when I'm running because I get so winded and I ache all over. Before, I was basically landing on my heel, pushing off the ground for a while, and taking long strides. I tried out that guy's technique of nearly falling forward, landing on the ball of the foot, and using short strides. I felt much, much better and no longer convinced myself I was a huge big pansy because of my sub-par running ability. I will try to improve it even more.

If anybody else hasn't read that article yet, read it ASAP and try it out.

No problem.

In the month since I've posted it I've cut about 2-2.5 minutes off my time. Granted, I had a damn long way to go. On the other hand, I'm also coming off of rehabbing my knee, and that time's already a little faster than what I came in on a year ago.

It took me about a week to get it just right though. For one thing, i had to start it off with intervals, since my calves weren't up to the new strain of pulling for that long. I did calf raises for about 2 weeks and sprinter's walks to bring em up to par. By the end though, I noticed I was able to run at a decent lap time(roughly 8:30 mile time) while barely trying.

Now I understand why the best runner's all have absolutely JACKED calves.
And as a side benefit, I became much more mobile for martial arts...I used to go flat footed within a few minutes and become a human punching bag because my calves would burn out.

frigid

Another thing to keep in mind when talking about running technique is energy conservation (mostly useful on longer runs). Many people tend to hold their arms up high tight to their chest and clench their fists. Both of these are simply wasting precious energy. Ideally, your arms should hang more or less limply at your sides with a slight bend. The natural motion of running will cause them to swing slightly. You're not trying to propel yourself forward with your arms but merely maintaing balance. Secondly, to avoid clenching your fists imagine holding a track baton in each hand and lightly touch your index and middle fingers to your thumb. Learned these lessons the hard way when after coming back from 8 mile runs I found that arms were sore. Any runners out there feel free to correct me as I am just quoting some things that work for me.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
This stuff's probably been covered to death elsewhere, but it's good to see it refreshed every now and then. I'm starting to rehab-run again myself, it's good to see a reminder.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
You can try a wuba chariot (I think its actually called an elliptical machine) for the shins if you want to continue something more like running.