• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Breathing while running

four o two

None
Don't sweat it too bad. If you can pass a Navy PFA with decent scores (10:30 run) and 5+ over the need for pushups/curlups then you'll do fine at OCS. There are several um... stressors at OCS to keep you motivated to do what you need to do.

I came into OCS in pretty bad running shape, and thanks to that and partially to the general stress of indoc week, I absolutely sucked on the in-PFA run. I ran like an 11:55 or something (I'm 24). The pushups and situps were good. Trust me, we didn't run at OCS as much as they used to, but by the time I was on my out-PFA, I was running 9 flats easy and maxing pushings/curlups.

Just make sure you pass the in-PFA or you'll be off to see my friend "Master Guns" in 'H' for 3-weeks to get you into shape.

As for breathing, the "in 2, out 2" works well, but the best thing for me is to not think about it. If you're running and you're thinking to yourself, Oh man! I'm out of breath! or Oh God! My legs are tired! How much further?!? etc. you won't perform as well as if you would if you just focused on a rhythm for both your pace and breathing. I'd just jump in the runs and get right behind my DI and stare at the back of his head and force myself to stay with him. The whole OCS atmosphere and running with people will help you out, trust me.

Until then, just keep running, and focus on improving your times. I'd make sure to be able to run a steady 2-2.5 miles without stopping. You might try alternating some intervals in there, where you jog 90 seconds and sprint your guts out for 30. That will develop your fast twitch and also get your heart used to pumping then going steady, i.e. better cardiovascular shape.

Sorry so long-winded, hope this helps & encourages. :)

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
As for breathing, the "in 2, out 2" works well, but the best thing for me is to not think about it.

IMO probably the best advice. Just try to relax. Keep your chest and head raised, try to keep your stomach relaxed and breathe into your diaphragm at a natural pace. That's what works best for me.

If you can't breathe while you are running your only two options are to slow down or suck it up. On a PFA, sucking it up might be best, but if you are training, try to keep your breathing at a level where it is comfortable but tow that line between comfort and discomfort. You should not be gasping uncontrollably for air.

EDIT: I'm not trying to say you shouldn't try to push yourself...just that in my opinion relaxing and trying to breathe naturally make it easier for me to run at a faster pace while maintaining an efficient transport of oxygen. If I get to the point where I can't control my breathing then I slow down a little (while training).

four o two

None
Kickflip's right, and I forgot to mention it -- when you're running, yeah, you're gonna get tired, but the best thing is to keep your back straight and keep your chest expanded. I see a lot of people slump over when they're tired and that's only gonna make you more tired.

Like anything, you'll only get better at running with... you guessed it... more running. :) Make sure your shins are in order and not weak also. I'd suggest lots of running (within your limits) before you get there, and if you feel your shins getting real sore, massage them out before and after you run and after you've stretched. Important: massage "inwards", don't pull on the muscle away from your tibia/fibula (whichever one's the shin bone... sorry, not a Doc. :D) Some advice my physical trainer once gave me.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Doing some swimming will help your breathing. In the last month and a half I noticed dramatic improvement in my running because I'm now simming 3 times per week. its great cardio and I'd highly recommend it... it teaches you how to be more efficient when you breath. Its all just muscle memory.