• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

bunghole with laser busted

KBayDog

Keep this high on your what-not-to-do list, unless you're down for being arrested for a silly prank.

Gotta love da press. If you shine a laser at the 5-0, it's a silly prank.

However, if you shine a laser at an airliner, it's "OMG! WTF?! How can anyone just go get a laser? They should be banned! What if the terrorists get them?! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!"

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I wish someone would arrest the assclown south of KNIP that continues to lase people in the GCA pattern.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Your safety office should be on top of that and working with the wing whenever you report the incident - if it's continually happening and nothing is being done, sounds HAZREP worthy to me, which with the right addressees and buzzwords ("safety of flight," "critical risk") should garner attention at higher levels. In the meantime, here's the FAA report form and an FAA laser safety brochure.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
My safety office is a stinky hinge who owns this website. I want them to bust the guy so he will stop clogging up my inbox with HAZREPs and how we need to fill out more ASAP reports about this NTAC. They're all over it. I'm sure sooner or later he'll laze the wrong person at the wrong time and the police will catch him in the act.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice catch of an assclown with a laser.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My safety office is a stinky hinge who owns this website. I want them to bust the guy so he will stop clogging up my inbox with HAZREPs and how we need to fill out more ASAP reports about this NTAC. They're all over it. I'm sure sooner or later he'll laze the wrong person at the wrong time and the police will catch him in the act.
You guys still use ASAP? We abandoned that all together more than a year ago. It IS good to see our LE brothers using their technology to get these A-holes off the street.

Brett

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I've heard about this guy, never been hit myself though. I heard a rumor that someone had caught him on AIMS, but I dont know what happened with that.

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Yea. ASAP is much mo bettah now. Takes two seconds after sharp to say no incident occurred instead of the 10 minutes battling with it before. It'd be a better system if it was only required when an incident occurs, but then what would the whiz kids be able to point to and say "look! Our zero tolerance crackdown is working!"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious if there could be some possible legal tangles if someone were arrested as a result of ISR capabilities of a military asset in the US. I suppose you could argue that the military aircraft was just reporting a crime observed incidental to a normal training flight.

Brett

scoolbubba

pilot
Contributor
Curious if there could be some possible legal tangles if someone were arrested as a result of ISR capabilities of a military asset in the US. I suppose you could argue that the military aircraft was just reporting a crime observed incidental to a normal training flight.

Brett

Was wondering the same thing myself. We have to be careful what we record on training flights.

phrogpilot73

I'd be willing to bet that Posse Comitas (what you're clearly alluding to) wouldn't be a factor, since they weren't actually doing the law enforcement piece... During TRUEX, a mixed section of skids stumbled upon a bunch of drug deals going down... Because cops were securing LZs and what not for the assault support guys, we were able to call them and tell them about it. The perps were arrested - and we never heard anything about it...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Certainly Posse Comitatus applies to the actual LE element involved, but there are also restrictions (some modified by PATRIOT Act) on what kinds of surveillance can be done on US citizens by the military and organizations in the IC in general. I'm not sure where the legal line lies, but I would want to have detailed knowledges of the legalities involved if my aircraft's capabilities could, intentionally or unintentionally, venture into that realm.

Brett

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Certainly Posse Comitatus applies to the actual LE element involved, but there are also restrictions (some modified by PATRIOT Act) on what kinds of surveillance can be done on US citizens by the military and organizations in the IC in general. I'm not sure where the legal line lies, but I would want to have detailed knowledges of the legalities involved if my aircraft's capabilities could, intentionally or unintentionally, venture into that realm.

Brett

It's an interesting issue for sure. Back in the late 80's there was some nut spotlighting jets in the FCLP pattern at Coupeville. It didn't happen a lot but enough that it was a pain. Finally they set him up with an A-6 in low holding with lights off and with a B/N with bino's and a couple in the pattern. They were able to narrow it down quickly and the local cops got him. The FBI had a discussion with him and there were no problems after that.

How far the line between a military aircraft w/ FLIR and a B/N with bino's I wonder?