• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying own parts

msdowns

Has anyone else on here had to buy parts out if pocket to keep a bird running on CCX? Or am I the only dumb enough to do this? If so, how much of a pain in the a$$ was it to get uncle sam to pick up the tab?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
What happened to your Cadillac chit? SF-88 or some such designator in the fuel pack. You can buy about anything with that.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
msdowns said:
Has anyone else on here had to buy parts out if pocket to keep a bird running on CCX? Or am I the only dumb enough to do this? If so, how much of a pain in the a$$ was it to get uncle sam to pick up the tab?
What did you have to buy?

Brett

Cyclic

Behold the Big Iron
I have you beat you by far!!!

In an RI hop to Mobile WX is great, I'm in the back enjoying the view, we call ahead for Domino's. We get there, eat the pizza, I'm hyped 'cause I'm next, the IP says go pay for the gas!...sure...the guy in the back for the first leg checks out the fuel packet...uuhh well, that's me....oh Lord I left it...this is a catastrophe...

All I thought was me sleeping that night tucked in a humungus pink sheet, and I hadn't even strapped in!!! No way in hell!!! I thought... well, I looked around they were all at the lounge so very swiftly I broke out my very own American Express and paid for the $75.00...I thought just pretend you got a hell of a deal renting a Jet Ranger for an hour...

That was six years ago and you guys are the first ones to know...besides my dad, he laughed his a$$ off and called me a dumba$$...

Good thing it wasn't a '53...

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Forget the Jet Ranger time...$75 was a good deal for avoiding the pink sheet

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
$75? That's all? For jet fuel? That's so little it's not even funny.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
$75? That's all? For jet fuel? That's so little it's not even funny.

ya... act all cool b/c your clown jet holds 3000 lbs :D

Super18Ordie

F/A-18 Ordnanceman
I was the tool control petty officer for the G-1 Flight Deck shop on an unnamed CVN. Well the guy that I took it over from had a ton of tools missing from the box and my first audit was coming up so after work I went down the local Sears and bought $200 worth of tools and stenciled them and put them in the box and recieved and outstanding on the inspection

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
msdowns said:
We had to get manufactured and buy, between and my boss, a hyd line and a fuel line.
And your squadron's maintenance wasn't involved in the process at some point? I find that strange/highly irregular. Whatever happened, you should be able to address it with maintenance control and the SKs. As previously posted, you normally have a few SF-44s in your X-C pack for that very purpose.

Brett

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
msdowns said:
We had to get manufactured and buy, between and my boss, a hyd line and a fuel line.

Buddy of mine (yes Brett, before you ask the question, I do have several friends :D ) was taking an Intruder to rework at Grumman St Augustine. Blew a hydraulic line in Pensacola. Got a replacement off the KA-6D sitting behind the museum.

Why buy when you can "borrow"?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
SteveG75 said:
Why buy when you can "borrow"?

As a former Maintenance Officer, I have to say: Because it ruins the supply system! <..looks off in the distance and thinks about the numerous parts we "borrowed" to get the hell out of the way of Ivan...> ;)