• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-130's fly off the USS Essex

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
No, really, for sure! I saw it on CNN!

In addition, several C-130 cargo aircraft aboard the USS Essex, which was conducting an exercise in the region, are available for relief missions.

I really...really...really hate CNN. Why do I even go to their site? Maybe I need anger to keep me going.

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
yeah i dont really see how this is possible given the takeoff run using maximum effort procedures is 1,800 ft and the USS Essex is 844 ft in total leangth, so if it was loaded down with cargo as well...theres no way.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
to do what??

If you place an aircraft (wheel equipped only) on a huge conveyor belt, moving in the opposite direction of the plane's intended travel, you can take off vertically.

:icon_tong

I'm a terrible person, I know.

edit: this is what happens when I am bored on watch...

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
If you place an aircraft (wheel equipped only) on a huge conveyor belt, moving in the opposite direction of the plane's intended travel, you can take off vertically.

:icon_tong

I'm a terrible person, I know.

edit: this is what happens when I am bored on watch...

ok so this would cause your ground speed to be rather high but the way i see it is that there would be no change in AIRspeed/air flowing around the wing which is what ultimatly matters in generating lift with a wing...i guess you could take off on the conveyor but it would take the same distance, in no case could it take off vertically...correct me if im wrong.....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
yeah i dont really see how this is possible given the takeoff run using maximum effort procedures is 1,800 ft and the USS Essex is 844 ft in total leangth, so if it was loaded down with cargo as well...theres no way.

Bad gouge, It is possible and was as noted by Pugs so 1,800 feet is way off, but it is highly impractible so was never done operationally. CNN is misinformed or misconstrued the facts. So what's new?

phrogpilot73

I think it just dawned on me how CNN screwed it up. The C-130's are probably the VMGR det supporting the 31st MEU, which is based on the Essex (the MEU that is, not the C-130's)...