• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-2 Circling to Land .... oooops

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Hope I didn't let the "cat" out of the bag .... Fox News reporting from WAVY (with live pictures) a Navy C-2 circling Norfolk/Oceana with landing gear problems .... no "military secrets" involved here ..... he just landed .... lookin' good, COD ..... looks like a belly landing. BZ :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's good to hear they're fine. We were scrambling over here looking at maintenance pubs and what-not, trying to help out the situation. The conclusion (apparently obviously at this point) was to go with the gear up rather than a mixed-gear configuration. I'll be interested to hear what went wrong.

Got any pictures?

Cordespc

None
Contributor
We watched a video of the landing earlier on the news. Very impressive.
-Paul

Attachments

• COD.jpg
    COD.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 222

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like that tailskid is getting nice and warm... sparks flyin'... yeah baby! I wonder what the pax were thinking...must have been loud.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Not the first time a COD has landed gear up. Good landing on their part, regardless.

gagirl

it was pretty cool watching it live. Kinda nerve wracking until we knew it was safe. Kudos to the Capt. It seemed like it was a really incredible landing. I don't know much about aviation, but it seemed pretty smooth despite everything. Will the pilot get any special recognition or is this considered knowing and doing your job? Does that make any sense?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Stopped on a runway beats in the port catwalk any day....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
In the news film available this AM, it looked like the starboard engine was secured/stopped/feathered on final approach. If so ... double tough approach. You probably wouldn't even give that one in the simulator .... :)

Fred

A4sForever said:
In the news film available this AM, it looked like the starboard engine was secured/stopped/feathered on final approach. If so ... double tough approach. You probably wouldn't even give that one in the simulator .... :)

In an interview the local news station had with the CO, he said they did that on purpose but didn't explain why.

This is the story in the local paper.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=90714&ran=221256&tref=po

B

Blutonski816

great find on the vid man....

good to know everyone got to go home in one piece....

I hope one day I'll have the kinda skillz those pilots had... and hope even more that I'll never have to use them in the same fashion...

beau

anyone know why they would shut down the engine?

Great job on the landing!!! I smell a medal!