• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-2 Circling to Land .... oooops

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
C-2 circling

beau said:
anyone know why they would shut down the engine?

Great job on the landing!!! I smell a medal!
I think the reason the engine was shut down had to do with keeping the prop on the powered engine from striking the ground. It looked like they were keeping the right wing low to give more clearence to the left engine. If the prop would strike, it and the engine might come apart causing a fire or fragments to come into the fuselage.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
beau said:
anyone know why they would shut down the engine?

Great job on the landing!!! I smell a medal!

It's a NATOPS recommended procedure. Due to the rotation of the props, if the stbd prop were to hit the ground, the peices would tear through the fuselage. The debris from the port prop would be thrown away from the aircraft.

nfo2b

Well, not anymore... :(
Fantastic job. I commend that aircrew. Pucker factor at about, oh, 125%. Wonder how many of those passengers were in need of a change of shorts after that...
This might be a dumb question, but...
Do all Naval Air Stations have arresting cables on their runways?
How much tougher would this have been without an arresting cable? Might have ended alot differently. I've seen other belly landing videos where the aircraft spun out, causing alot more mayhem.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
nfo2b said:
Fantastic job. I commend that aircrew. Pucker factor at about, oh, 125%. Wonder how many of those passengers were in need of a change of shorts after that...
This might be a dumb question, but...
How much tougher would this have been without an arresting cable? Might have ended alot differently. I've seen other belly landing videos where the aircraft spun out, causing alot more mayhem.

A C-2 landed gear up without arresting gear in the early to mid 90's. It was also a VAW-120 bird but was done by mistake. The IP and student didn't do the checklist appropriately and landed gear up. The only damage was to the belly of the aircraft, most likely just like this one. VAW-120 still fly's it........ I flew it. I wonder if it's the same airplane??

Chubby

bunk22 said:
A C-2 landed gear up without arresting gear in the early to mid 90's. It was also a VAW-120 bird but was done by mistake. The IP and student didn't do the checklist appropriately and landed gear up. The only damage was to the belly of the aircraft, most likely just like this one. VAW-120 still fly's it........ I flew it. I wonder if it's the same airplane??

Please tell me y'all painted shark teeth on it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No but it's got an interesting "name" on the ramp.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
nfo2b said:
How much tougher would this have been without an arresting cable?
The vast majority of Navy and USAF fields have gear.

Brett

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
On the news here in Cincinnati as well. What runway there at Chambers?

Looked like RWY 10 as you can see the carrier FCLP markings before it touched down.