• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can a new Navy officer be assigned to Chicago area?

plummer1984

if you have to get out of San Diego where there is Navy assignments galore and pretty close to paradise on earth as far as weather(makes you suspect already), why not go Reserve DCO route and work out of Great Lakes?

thank you yes San Diego might be like paradise but when you lived here all of your life its crap sorry to say but I will talk to my recruiter about what you informed me with thank you for all the information.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Plummer1984, either you know how to write well, or all these posts about finishing your thesis are completely pointless because you'll never get a prof to sign off on your work.

If you expect the knowledgeable people here to help you, please provide them the courtesy of writing in a manner that doesn't make their eyes bleed.

SWO Bubba

None
sorry you where right about the name of the university. I want to begin a
PHD program and my paper is already completed and binded but they just need to callo it a semester because the paper is a course so meanwhile I would be in OCS my paper would be already completed and I would just focus on OCS.

Plummer,

Take this as friendly advice prior to graduating from College rather than a slam: review your written correspondence before sending - even posts in online forums. Your communications say a lot about you and I encourage you to establish a goal of comming across as a professional. Get out of the teenage, phone texting style and use proper grammar - even if you are sending through an iPhone.

Cheers,
Bubba

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I want to begin a PHD program...

Your english skilz asside (I'm guessing you're typing on the damn iPhone and have big fingers like me, and it's just a pain in the ass to type on it) I'd recommend finishing your PhD then...

At the age of 25, you obviously are keenly focused on academia. Get settled and THEN see what your "new" focus is.

Do 1 thing 1000 times to be good at it. Not 1000 things once.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Plummer, I'll parrot what everyone else here has said:

1) Finish your Master's. You will not have time to finish your Master's during your initial sea tour. You're looking to at least 3 years in the Navy before you can even consider it. Surface Warfare Officers' main jobs are to drive ships. To do that, they need to be out to sea. You can wait one semester to finish your Master's prior to entering OCS.

2) Whether you choose to pursue a PhD is up to you, but realize that there are age limits for commissioning programs. Also remember that applying to OCS is a 6-12 month process, and you might need to apply more than once. Sit down and figure out your timeline for each choice before deciding.

3) As a Criminal Justice major, I'm sure you've done plenty of writing. By now I'd hope you have learned that writing coherently and intelligently is important in the business world. Even though this is an internet forum, try to at least put a little effort into capitalization and punctuation.

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
thank you and graduate school ill be done in the summer and i already pay for it just wanted to know my options my recruiter helps me a lot but I want first had answers from people that are in the field and already been through the process.

Granted I'm not an Officer, but I would think a basic understanding of punctuation, grammar and capitalization would be a prerequisite. Especially for someone that may one day have a final chop on my evals. :eek:

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Aren't there any officers stationed on it?

Navy Pier.....
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

E26

(I'm guessing you're typing on the damn iPhone and have big fingers like me, and it's just a pain in the ass to type on it)

I thought I was the only one who had that problem!

I've lived in San Diego my entire life and I don't think it's crap. That aside, +1 to the advice given. Finish your PhD then serve.

Out of curiosity, I've heard that you can start off at higher ranks with more experience and education, no? Please correct me on that, I don't know if it's in any way true.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Out of curiosity, I've heard that you can start off at higher ranks with more experience and education, no? Please correct me on that, I don't know if it's in any way true.

Yes, it's called entry grade credit, but it only works for certain staff corps designators.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Out of curiosity, I've heard that you can start off at higher ranks with more experience and education, no? Please feel free to correct me on that, I don't know if it's in any way true.
If you enlist.

m26

Contributor
I've heard that you can start off at higher ranks with more experience and education, no? Please correct me on that, I don't know if it's in any way true.

It's definitely true for enlistment. I believe with a bachelor's it's possible to enlist in the Army as an E-4. I wonder what a PhD gets you??

PR1 H

Perpetually fixing cranial/rectal inversions
It's definitely true for enlistment. I believe with a bachelor's it's possible to enlist in the Army as an E-4. I wonder what a PhD gets you??

There was a fella that graduated the week before me out of boot who had either a Bachelors or Masters in music. Day after graduation he was promoted to E-6. Shocked the shit out of all of us to hear that announcement as we were leaving graduation practice. Obviously he went in as a musician.