• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

canada celebrates 20 years of hornets

UMichfly

pilot
None
That's a pretty sweet paint job...although if it's like any other jets I've seen with cool paint jobs, it's probably the biggest POS on the line.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It's really too bad they've committed (without an extensive cost/benefit analysis, apparently) to buy 65 F-35As @ $125MM+ each when they could have had a fairly seamless transition to F-18E/Fs @ $50MM each plus the cost of engines. I love the Canucks, but they're never going to go to downtown Beijing or Vladivostok anyway - not that an F-18E/F w/ jamming support couldn't do it anyway.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I enjoyed shooting down their CF-18's and drinking with their pilots @ CFB Cold Lake in the early '80s ...

They were good boys and very good sticks -- and they thought their politicians sucked. Big mistake for them to switch to the F-35, but then, we did say their politicians sucked, did we not ??? :)

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's really too bad they've committed (without an extensive cost/benefit analysis, apparently) to buy 65 F-35As @ $125MM+ each when they could have had a fairly seamless transition to F-18E/Fs @ $50MM+ each plus the cost of engines. I love the Canucks, but they're never going to go to downtown Beijing or Vladivostok anyway - not that an F-18E/F w/ jamming support couldn't do it anyway.

I think it has more to do with a 'keeping up with the Jones'" than anything else. Canada's two closest partners, the U.S. and U.K., are both buying the JSF; why should they settle for 'second best'? If they want to be seen as a front line military, then they need to have top-of-the-line equipment.

Besides, why would any service advocate for buying an older technology when they can ask for the shiny, new gucci-gear???
It's not like fiscal prudence has ever entered into the equation when discussing the acquisition strategies of either the U.S. Navy or Air Force...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Oh, you're right. I would still like to see a 1 v.1 Super Hornet+ against an F-35. In the air-to-air role the Super Hornet+ (w/ the new GE F414EPE engines) might likely be superior to the F-35, which IMHO was optimized for the air-to--mud role.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Australia

Heheh, I sailed with some Aussie jet jock type in a regatta a while back with a buddy who... well, who the fuck cares, not important to the story.

In Australia a "Growler" is what a lady owns when she seems to have forgotten to shave her bush for a few years. "You guys call it the growler? Really mate?! Let me clue you in to what a growler is back home..."

Classic!