• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

canada celebrates 20 years of hornets

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
1v1 guns/aim9's...... f-35 or f-22 vs f16 or f-15 or f-18.

i understand that visual guns only engagements might be unlikely.

but i would think that the 5th gen fighters might not have a significant advantage in that arena.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's really too bad they've committed (without an extensive cost/benefit analysis, apparently) to buy 65 F-35As @ $125MM+ each when they could have had a fairly seamless transition to F-18E/Fs @ $50MM each plus the cost of engines. I love the Canucks, but they're never going to go to downtown Beijing or Vladivostok anyway - not that an F-18E/F w/ jamming support couldn't do it anyway.

With Canada taking part in more and more coalition operations as time goes one they want the best plane available. The Super Hornet is good right now but maybe not so much in the future where the F-35's LO and systems will give it an advantage.

Australia

12 of the 24 Super Hornets they bought are being wired so that they could converted to Growlers in the future but they don't have the guts or the other gear to be an EA-18G yet, they are still F/A-18Fs.

jackjack

We are looking at 2012 for the decission to upgrade the 12 18F to growlers, I think we are hanging out for the NGJ

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
1v1 guns/aim9's...... f-35 or f-22 vs f16 or f-15 or f-18.

i understand that visual guns only engagements might be unlikely.

but i would think that the 5th gen fighters might not have a significant advantage in that arena.

yeah, that thrust vectoring deal is probably just a gimmick.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
We will have to stop it there considering this is an public forum.

So they're teaching a lot about the F-22 at the hornet rag these days? I'll stop there too but because my vault isn't stocked with F-22 info, not because it's a public forum.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So they're teaching a lot about the F-22 at the hornet rag these days? I'll stop there too but because my vault isn't stocked with F-22 info, not because it's a public forum.

I can't remember the last time I didn't fight an F-22.... :)

magnetfreezer

I'd hope you wouldn't put whatever your vault is stocked with on a public forum. Unless your vault is stocked with donuts.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What I know or don't know isn't the point. Neither is what is stocked in my vault or what I can access on SIPR. Our missile capabilities probably shouldn't be discussed here though.

I usually BFM or ID a Sopwith Camel or flying aircraft carrier when I am in the simulator. Those sim operators can get pretty creative.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I usually BFM or ID a Sopwith Camel ...

You can't let yourself get into a slow turning fight with those, especially right turns with his rotary engine. If you get below 90kts then you'll be easy meat for his twin .303s.

Most IR seekers will lock on to the pilot's head instead of the engine exhaust, since the engine exhaust is masked by coming out underneath the nose. But then if the pilot ducks inside the cockpit then the missile will usually lose lock.

I hope my nonsensical contribution is helpful. :)