• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Canadians and their rediculous fly-bys, eh!

phrogpilot73

Fly-by was text book, but seriously this is risky s***, considering it was over an Intl. airport.
Why is it risky? If it's an International Airport, he's inside B, C, or D airspace. That means a controller probably approved it. Hell, I've heard of controllers REQUESTING stuff like that. I don't see the big deal, didn't appear to be flat-hatting or dangerous at all...

milky-f18

loud-mouthed, know-it-all
I've known of a guy getting Fenab'd for just doing a low transition to an unrestricted climb at a controlled airport when it was requested by the controller, so the FAA isn't the only one you have to worry about. Not that a Canadian hornet pilot would care about that. But, the FAR part 91 does specifically address when you can and cannot do aerobatic flight. I don't think he ever got aerobatic, so looks like he could do whatever he wanted there as long as it was approved. The only rule it looks like he was possibly breaking was the airspeed restriction for Class C/D airspace.

phrogpilot73

I've known of a guy getting Fenab'd for just doing a low transition to an unrestricted climb at a controlled airport when it was requested by the controller, so the FAA isn't the only one you have to worry about. Not that a Canadian hornet pilot would care about that. But, the FAR part 91 does specifically address when you can and cannot do aerobatic flight. I don't think he ever got aerobatic, so looks like he could do whatever he wanted there as long as it was approved. The only rule it looks like he was possibly breaking was the airspeed restriction for Class C/D airspace.
Umm, Canadians don't have to abide by the FARs when they're in Canada. And I don't think they care much about the FAA either... ;)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I've known of a guy getting Fenab'd for just doing a low transition to an unrestricted climb at a controlled airport when it was requested by the controller, so the FAA isn't the only one you have to worry about.

If a guy got boarded for that then he had a history and a trend they were trying to stop. Can't imagine it would get you anything more than a "don't do it again" from the Skipper if anyone said anything. But then I'm old.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I don't think he ever got aerobatic
I think as soon as he went over 60 degrees of bank for a purpose of other than breaking to land....according to the FAA...he was aerobatic? Again, being Canadian, it probably makes no difference.

I heard a story about a guy turning downwind and asking tower if they could check and see if his gear were up and locked, and then he blew past the field at like 500kts! It's being safe right:icon_smil

Now that I actually have wings to lose...and it's not the instructors arse in the back on the line...I'm very cautious of anything resembling having "too" much fun in a plane. Unfortunately for me I think fast break Fridays are a thing of the past.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Unfortunately for me I think fast break Fridays are a thing of the past.

Ahh, but we had so much fun. And then there was that fast break tuesday. 154........... Abeam....... gear................gear.....threedownandlockedflapsfullonspeed123.

milky-f18

If a guy got boarded for that then he had a history and a trend they were trying to stop. Can't imagine it would get you anything more than a "don't do it again" from the Skipper if anyone said anything. But then I'm old.

In this case, it was a little bit of bad luck and bad timing. He was in a squadron that just had like 2 other incidences of people getting caught flat-hatting. He also was not very well-liked by his Skipper. The kicker was that it was an AF base, and the CG happened to be driving by and see it and tracked down his Skipper before he even made it back to home base...

milky-f18

I think as soon as he went over 60 degrees of bank for a purpose of other than breaking to land....according to the FAA...he was aerobatic? Again, being Canadian, it probably makes no difference.

I believe you are correct, but I was giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just went to 59.9 degrees AOB. :icon_tong

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

Really? A quick climb to 10 grand doesn't seem like a good reason to board a guy. But what do I know?

HuggyU2

None
I've known of a guy getting Fenab'd for just doing a low transition to an unrestricted climb at a controlled airport...
I heard about a guy in a Super Bug about 2-3 years ago doing this at San Luis Obispo, CA, and he got HAMMERED. Rumor was he was FENAB'd, and sent to Iraq. Is this the same event?