• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT John W Peterson: "Swede", 1944-2009

das

Contributor
John%20Walter%20Peterson%20Obit001%20Small%20Web%20view.jpg

Just a few days ago I received some shocking news. John Peterson, my director, mentor, and friend, passed away unexpectedly at his home. John was a great man, and this comes as a blow to everyone who knew him. John was a strong personal mentor to me, and is the reason I am in the process of pursuing a commission in Navy Reserve Intelligence.

I am passing this along for others who may have known him...

For those interested, there is also a Facebook group dedicated to John.

Note: this content is not copyrighted and is posted with permission. Original link.

---

Madison-John W. Peterson, age 64, died Thursday, April 9, 2009. John was born on August 20, 1944 in Lynn, Massachusetts, the son of Richard W. and Eleanor C. Peterson. He attended primary schools in Lynn, Massachusetts, and Long Island, N.Y. before graduating from Reading Memorial High School in Reading, Massachusetts in 1962. John graduated from Dartmouth College in 1966 with a degree in Economics and obtained two Masters degrees in International Relations, from Salve Regina College, Newport, R.I. and The Naval War College. John started his 30-year Navy career as a carrier pilot, flying A4s, A7s and FA18s. While stationed at NAS Cecil Field in Jacksonville, Florida he served as the Commanding Officer of VA-46, VFA 106 and of Light Attack Wing One. As the Commanding Officer of VFA 106, John also helped train the Blue Angels during their transition from A7 jets to FA18s. He continued his career as the Executive Officer on board the ship USS Saratoga. Promoted to Captain, he became the Commanding Officer of the USS St. Louis in Sasebo, Japan. John was then the Group Commander of Amphibious Group Three out of San Diego, during which time he coordinated and participated in the Navy landings in Somalia, alongside the Marines. John ended his Naval career as the Commanding Officer of the NROTC Unit at UW-Madison. After retirement from the Navy, he was an Assistant Dean at the UW-Madison Law School, before beginning his job at UW-Madison Division of Information Technology, where he was the Director of System Engineering and Operations. John's civic and community service was broad. He served on the Vestry and was the Senior Warden at St. Andrews Episcopal Church for three years. He was a member of the Madison Breakfast Rotary and served as its president at one time. He was also a member of the Frauchi Group. John felt strongly about volunteer work and was active in the Meals on Wheels program for Rotary and his church. He is survived by his wife, Kristen and his children Eric (wife, Amanda) of Brandon, FL; Jeffrey of Brandon, Florida; Alex of Portland, Oregon; and Meredith (husband, Aaron Landerville) of Brandon, Florida; as well as his grandchildren, Graham, Ellen and Abigail Peterson. He is also survived by his brother, Brian (wife, Christy) of West Peabody, Massachusetts. John was preceded in death by his parents and older brother, Dick. A gathering will be held 4:00 -- 6:00 PM on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at Cress Funeral Home, 3610 Speedway Road, Madison. A memorial service will be held 1:00 PM on Wednesday, April 15, 2009 at St. Andrews Episcopal Church, 1833 Regent Street, Madison. Donations may be made to St. Andrews Episcopal Church or to the Dane County Humane Society.

das

Contributor
For those who may have known or served with John:

John_Portrait.jpg

The CAPT John W “Swede” Peterson Memorial Award has been established in honor of John. Each year, the Peterson Award will help a deserving future Naval Officer at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Naval ROTC Unit who exemplifies the ethics and character John so valued.

We are working to create an endowment that will stand as a lasting legacy in memory of John. Your tax-deductible gift will help establish this endowment, and will ensure that future generations of Naval Officers continue to be recognized for exemplary ethics and character in John’s name.

Please help us reach our goal of $10,000 before the 2010-2011 Spring Review, where the first Peterson Award will be given. We're already on the way! The award is managed by the University of Wisconsin Foundation. For more information or to give, please visit: http://petersonaward.org

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Sounds like a great guy & naval aviator, but if you wrote the eulogy, the Blues never flew the A-7. Probably meant A-4s there. FWIW.

das

Contributor
Fog, good point...was just a copy/paste of the original obituary (it won't let me edit the original post any more). John was indeed one of those rare guys...

Alex Peterson

Hi,

I wrote the eulogy. I'm his son, Alex. I know things I picked up from him or could glean from a bunch of stuff we uncovered in his Naval files. I wish I'd gotten the jet right, and I'm happy there's a group like this who appreciates the life he led. I've since uncovered a four-book collection of his flight logs that encompasses his entire career. Looks like he did indeed fly A4s ((TA4J is logged as the aircraft model number somewhere around a thousand times) from August 1968 until October 1974. The first log of a model A7 (A7E) comes in June 1977. Anyone who knows more about the Blue Angels in this period, or, hope against hope, might even have known John W. Peterson, it'd be great to hear from you.

Thanks,

Alex Peterson

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Swede was an instructor of mine when I went through VA-174, the A-7 RAG, in '77-'78. He was one of the guys who accompanied our class on our Yuma Weps Det. Absolutely a GREAT guy. Funny, humble, patient, knowledgeable, just all of the desirable traits needed to be a really good instructor. He introduced us to Chretin's, both the old one and the new one, in Yuma. And he had many good stories about "the good old days" and Fallon dets. I know I also saw a squadron picture he was in of VA-106 when it was an A-4 squadron. I ran into him numerous times through the years, both when I was stationed at Cecil and when I was just passing through, and he always had time to talk and was truly interested in how things were going. You are the product of a tremendous individual, Alex.

Alex Peterson

Thank you! I've been running an intermittent project over the past year to try to get in contact with folks my Dad knew during times that I myself never found out much about. I really appreciate your story and your kind words. I'm moved to tears by these recollections, and I consistently get a vicarious nostalgia about those old flying days that Dad loved more than anything.

I'll keep this info my in my ongoing document on him.

Thanks again,

Alex Peterson

Renegade One

None
Hi,...Anyone who knows more about the Blue Angels in this period...

Yep, the Blues transitioned from the A-4 Skyhawk to the F/A-18 between the 1986 and the 1987 seasons...and I'm sure they relied on your Dad's FRS squadron and it's capabilities to assist in that transition.