• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CAPT Larry Cauble, USN

Llarry

-- Born 1923
-- Year Group 44 (commissioned June 1943 at age 20)
-- Briefly assigned to VF-5, then VF-1 as a replacement pilot early/mid 1944; didn't get enough action and requested reassignment to the RAG in Hawaii to go again
-- Assigned to VF-19 Satan's Kittens aboard Lexington (CV 16) Sept 1944 as replacement pilot; took part in the battle of Leyte Gulf, then stayed with the squadron as it returned to CONUS
-- VF-19 was the first VF to get the Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat while reforming at NAAS Santa Rosa in 1945; the squadron was convinced that they would all becomes aces when they returned to combat with the F8F. But it was not to be, as Air Group 19 was in Hawaii when the war ended.
-- VF-19 did an odd WestPac 1946, spending a lot of time ashore in Saipan, but also making it to Tsingtao (Qingdao), Hong Kong and Manila.
-- The squadron was redesigned VF-19A in 1947; then-LT Cauble was ordered to Naval Air Test Center Patuxent River for TPS and subsequent assignment to Tactical Test. While at Tactical test, flew a huge variety of aircraft: Qualified in jets in 1947 in Bell P-59B; project pilot for Martin AM-1 Mauler and Grumman F9F-2 Panther; also flew F6F, F7F, FH, F2H, PBJ, PB4Y, etc. (Those were definitely different days!)
-- From NATC Tactical Test, reassigned to VF-61 'Jolly Rogers' flying F9F-2 Panther, one of the first LANT jet fighter squadrons. While with VF-61, make a Med cruise aboard USS Frankin D. Roosevelt (CVB 42) 1951.
-- With just a few college credits, enrolled in 5-term program at GWU in the early 50s. Likewise, as a Naval Aviator, went through General Line School at Monterey. Also did a staff tour at AIRLANT and a tour aboard USS Kearsarge (CVA 33) as First Lieutenant.
-- 1956-58 did a tour at China Lake with VX-5 'Vampires' flying F9F-8B, A4D-2 and FJ-4B. Of note, during 1958 air show at Corpus Christi flying A4D-2, had an engine failure while vertical during a loft maneuver in front of a crowd of hundreds of the aviation writers of America. Ejected and landed in knee-deep water off Padre Island. Returned to China Lake lying prone in the cockpit of a squadron A3D and spent a while on the binnacle list before returning to flight status.
-- While at VX-5, promoted to CDR and screened for squadron command. (This was several years before the Navy adopted the XO/CO pattern.) Assigned as Commanding Officer of VA-23 'Black Knights' in Air Group Two (homeport NAS Alameda) assigned to USS Midway (CVA 41) and did a WestPac 1959-60.
-- Payback time for the command tour came with an assignment to OpNav 1960-63 (this was during the McNamara/Whiz Kids era and my sister remembers that Dad was so miseralble that he was frequently phsycially ill during this tour), followed by a return to Alameda as ComFAir Alameda VA Jet Training Officer, which gave him an opportunity to fly with the A4D/A-4 squadrons at Lemoore; his last flights in operational combat aircraft.
-- A high point for me as his son was an assignment to ComNavPhil at Sangley Point 1964-66, where I graduated from high school in a class of twelve from John Paul Jones Dependent's High School. For CAPT Cauble, he amassed a large number of flight hours in the station UC-45J 'Bugsmasher.' I think staff duty did not particularly agree with him and getting into the cockpit was a form of therapy, just as it had been at Alameda before
-- Payback time again: Assigned to Joint Staff at the Pentagon, then the Center for Naval Analysis.
-- Retired summer of 1968 and moved to Oregon to look to buy a cattle ranch
-- I borrowed his log books late in the 1990s and did an analysis: the most flight hours in type were the SNB/UC-45 (over a thousand hours) and I kidded him about it but those hours were mental health hours -- getting out from behind a desk and into a cockpit -- at times when he needed it.
-- Gone West late 2000.

Attachments

• VF-19 F6F-3 Cauble.jpg
    VF-19 F6F-3 Cauble.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
  • F8F-1 CarQual 1945.jpg
    F8F-1 CarQual 1945.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 15
  • VF-19 F8F-1.jpg
    VF-19 F8F-1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 15
  • NATC AT AM-1.jpg
    NATC AT AM-1.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 13
  • FDR 1951.jpg
    FDR 1951.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 14
  • VX-5 A4D-2 buno 142095 XE 5.jpg
    VX-5 A4D-2 buno 142095 XE 5.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 14
  • VA-23 officers with FJ-4B.jpg
    VA-23 officers with FJ-4B.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Iwakuni UC-45J.jpg
    Iwakuni UC-45J.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Llarry

-- Born 1923
-- Year Group 44 (commissioned June 1943 at age 20)
-- Briefly assigned to VF-5, then VF-1 as a replacement pilot early/mid 1944; didn't get enough action and requested reassignment to the RAG in Hawaii to go again
-- Assigned to VF-19 Satan's Kittens aboard Lexington (CV 16) Sept 1944 as replacement pilot; took part in the battle of Leyte Gulf, then stayed with the squadron as it returned to CONUS
-- VF-19 was the first VF to get the Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat while reforming at NAAS Santa Rosa in 1945; the squadron was convinced that they would all becomes aces when they returned to combat with the F8F. But it was not to be, as Air Group 19 was in Hawaii when the war ended.
-- VF-19 did an odd WestPac 1946, spending a lot of time ashore in Saipan, but also making it to Tsingtao (Qingdao), China, Hong Kong and Manila.
-- The squadron was redesigned VF-19A in 1947; then-LT Cauble was ordered to Naval Air Test Center Patuxent River for TPS and subsequent assignment to Tactical Test. While at Tactical test, flew a huge variety of aircraft: Qualified in jets in 1947 in Bell P-59B; project pilot for Martin AM-1 Mauler and Grumman F9F-2 Panther; also flew F6F, F7F, FH, F2H, PBJ, PB4Y, etc. (Those were definitely different days!)
-- From NATC Tactical Test, reassigned to VF-61 'Jolly Rogers' flying F9F-2 Panther, one of the first LANT jet fighter squadrons. While with VF-61, make a Med cruise aboard USS Frankin D. Roosevelt (CVB 42) 1951.
-- With just a few college credits, enrolled in 5-term program at GWU in the early 50s. Likewise, as a Naval Aviator, went through General Line School at Monterey. Also did a staff tour at AIRLANT.
-- 1956-58 did a tour at China Lake with VX-5 'Vampires' flying F9F-8B, A4D-2 and FJ-4B. Of note, during 1958 air show at Corpus Christi flying A4D-2, had an engine failure while vertical during a loft maneuver in front of a crowd of hundreds of the aviation writers of America. Ejected and landed in knee-deep water off Padre Island. Returned to China Lake lying prone in the cockpit of a squadron A3D and spent a while on the binnacle list before returning to flight status.
-- While at VX-5, promoted to CDR and screened for squadron command. (This was several years before the Navy adopted the XO/CO pattern.) Assigned as Commanding Officer of VA-23 in Air Group Two (homeport NAS Alameda) assigned to USS Midway (CVA 41) and did a WestPac 1959-60.
-- Payback time for the command tour came with an assignment to OpNav 1960-63, followed by a return to Alameda as ComFAir Alameda VA Jet Training Officer, which gave him an opportunity to fly with the A4D/A-4 squadrons at Lemoore; his last flights in operational combat aircraft.
-- A high point for me as his son was an assignment to ComNavPhil at Sangley Point 1964-66, where I graduated from high school in a class of twelve from John Paul Jones Dependent's High School. For CAPT Cauble, he amassed a large number of flight hours in the station UC-45J 'Bugsmasher.' I think staff duty did not particularly agree with him and getting into the cockpit was a form of therapy, just as it had been at Alameda before
-- Payback time again: Assigned to Joint Staff at the Pentagon, then the Center for Naval Analysis.
-- Retired summer of 1968 and moved to Oregon to look to buy a cattle ranch
-- I borrowed his log books late in the 1990s and did an analysis: the most flight hours in type were the SNB/UC-45 (over a thousand hours) and I kidded him about it but those hours were mental health hours -- getting out from behind a desk and into a cockpit -- at times when he needed it.
-- Went West late 2000.
Forgot an important photo: LTJG(?) Cauble of VF-19 circa 1945 and another important photo as it shows CDR Cauble landing FJ-4B at Atsugi Oct59 while on WestPac deployment.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 21
  • p015.jpg
    p015.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Llarry

Great tribute to your dad. Thanks for sharing.

What part of Oregon?
He started in Eastern Oregon (Baker City) in the summer of '68, looking for a ranch while flying GA for the local flying service (3 kids in college at the time!) but, after a pretty harsh winter, relocated to Medford and ended up buying a 230-acre place near Eagle Point, Oregon. Ran 100 head or so of cattle and did it all himself, mostly on horseback for the first 15 years or so and finally got an Kawasaki ATV for some functions for the last 15 or so years. Hard work! I loved to visit but never wanted that lifestyle myself. A few years after he and my mother passed, I moved to Oregon and bought a 15-acre place to accomodate a few llamas. Not hard work... a good retirement "buying the farm".

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He started in Eastern Oregon (Baker City) in the summer of '68, looking for a ranch while flying GA for the local flying service (3 kids in college at the time!) but, after a pretty harsh winter, relocated to Medford and ended up buying a 230-acre place near Eagle Point, Oregon. Ran 100 head or so of cattle and did it all himself, mostly on horseback for the first 15 years or so and finally got an Kawasaki ATV for some functions for the last 15 or so years. Hard work! I loved to visit but never wanted that lifestyle myself. A few years after he and my mother passed, I moved to Oregon and bought a 15-acre place to accomodate a few llamas. Not hard work... a good retirement "buying the farm".
Looks like we are neighbors. I live about 8 miles N. of E.P. My brother lives in E.P.

Llarry

Looks like we are neighbors. I live about 8 miles N. of E.P. My brother lives in E.P.
He lived on Worthington Road. Eagle Point has changed increddibly since 1970 -- I think it was the golf course (and maybe Wal-Mart) that started the juggernaut of change. On a visit to the ranch a few years ago, I noted that most ranches/houses have locked gates; that was unheard of in the 1970s. My parents never locked the doors on the house and left the keys of the vehicles in the ignitions. Very different times now -- I guess it is progress, but sad to see for somebody who remembers it so fondly from the 1970s-80s.

I live in Sublimity, east of Salem. (I lock my doors and garage the vehicles with the keys inside, of course.)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He lived on Worthington Road. Eagle Point has changed incredibly since 1970 -- I think it was the golf course (and maybe Wal-Mart) that started the juggernaut of change. On a visit to the ranch a few years ago, I noted that most ranches/houses have locked gates; that was unheard of in the 1970s. My parents never locked the doors on the house and left the keys of the vehicles in the ignitions. Very different times now -- I guess it is progress, but sad to see for somebody who remembers it so fondly from the 1970s-80s.

I live in Sublimity, east of Salem. (I lock my doors and garage the vehicles with the keys inside, of course.)
A lot of the country has changed. I remember visiting the Rogue Valley as a young teen and was moved by simple things. My dad used to leave the home unlocked and left his keys in his truck above the visor. Yes, the valley has progressed and it's not the simple town it used to be. Eagle Point used to be a sleepy bedroom community, but now it has the same problems most cities have.