• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Air Wing (helo)

mike172

GO NAVY
Ok so ive been looking at all this stuff, it appears a Carrier Airwing only has HS squadrons, which operate the SH60F and HH-60H, So where is HSC, HSL, HCS, or are these broken down componenets of the Wing? I know ive kinda asked this question before but im trying to get a better understanding. Thanks.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
As of right now, HS squadrons are based off of the carrier. HSL squadrons are based off of destroyers, cruisers and frigates. HCS squadrons are more special missions currently and go out on special DET's. Although all of this is in the process of changing. Everything is supposed to merge into HSM and HSC. Both of these squadrons will deploy off of the carriers, HSM will fly the MH-60R and HSC will fly the MH-60S. HSM (Helicopter Support Maritime) will primarily do ASW while HSC (Helicopter Sea Combat) will do CSAR, SAR, NSW, etc. and also vertrep, as needed.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
HSC will soon join the airwing and become one w/ HS, but for now, they arent' attached to an airwing. They operate on their own as detachments to replenishment ships and amphibs (for SAR). HCS is it's own weird animal, as it's a reserve component and does secret squirrel things on it's own. HSL is like HSC. It will eventually join HS and both will become HSM. For now, for the most part, they still operate out of their own squadrons and det out to small boys (frigates, cruisers, destroyers).

From what I've heard, HSC isn't too happy joining the airwing. HS isn't too happy joining up w/ HSL (HH-60 can correct me if I'm wrong), and HSL pretty much needs to join up w/ everyone else, or they'll never get to play.

As for the wings, there's a Carrier Air Wing, but there are also community specific wings. So a HS squadron may operate w/ the Air Wing 1, but they also belong to HSLANTWING or HSPACWING. They have a new name now, but you get the idea. HSL and HSC don't have the air wing component, so they only belong to HSLWINGPAC or LANT. Same same for HSC. Speaking of generalities here, as I'm sure there's exceptions (HSL-47, for example).

EDIT

Lowflier beat me to it. But one thing... HSM will do primarily ASUW along w/ ASW. Day to day, that's what the sea commanders use most.

mike172

GO NAVY
OK so HSM = sub killers, HSC= everything else, What is NSW? What is the difference between ASW and ASUW? Is this only for Carrier AirWings or is the an entire reconstruction for everything. Ie. small ships get some of each or w/e. What exactly is a HH-60H apposed to the SH-60F or B, and Is the R gonna replace the B and H? Or everything but the F. Hope you can understand what im saying. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Mike, your killin' me. We went over the whole -60B/F/H/R thing in your other thread.

ASW is anti-sub. ASuW is anti-surface. So typically in the gulf, for example, there would a P-3 flying around on part of airspace, a S-3 (back when they were around) in another, and a -60B. Each will generate a radar picture that goes back to, eventually, the sea combat commanders, so they see what's out there. Then, if a kill order is generated, they look at who's available to task. That unit (could be anything...but if a -60B is around, usually anything but the -60B will get tasked ;) ) will get the go ahead and shoot the target.

NSW is Naval Special Warfare. Dropping Snake-eaters off or picking them up.

mike172

GO NAVY
Thats not what i meant. I tried to make a small joke but clearly i failed in my attempt. Though i must agree in retrospect it really wasent funny atall.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
On my last deployment with CVW-2, we had HS-2 and HSL-41 with us. Both are cruising again, next year.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Yes HSL 41 is the LAMPS rag. HSL 51 is the Atsugi squadron in Japan. Perhaps he had a few numbers wrong there.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
HSC will soon join the airwing and become one w/ HS, but for now, they arent' attached to an airwing. They operate on their own as detachments to replenishment ships and amphibs (for SAR). HCS is it's own weird animal, as it's a reserve component and does secret squirrel things on it's own. HSL is like HSC. It will eventually join HS and both will become HSM. For now, for the most part, they still operate out of their own squadrons and det out to small boys (frigates, cruisers, destroyers).

It change but it's change for the good. Now all helo bubbas will deploy as a squadron organic to the air wing. Sure, the dets will be spread out among balltlegroup platforms and in theatre...

But the biggest win of all is deploying with your CO! Think about it - you have access to an O-5 who is looking out for your intrests. Your fitreps will be far more credible, you won't be relying on a destroyer CO to write up your personal awards, etc. The helo community gets what the HS guys have had all along (and why they've been more competitive..)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It's funny, I agree w/ you on why it's a good thing overall. But in my personal experience, just about every reason you wrote was why I liked det'ing out. I'll leave it at that, but it made me chuckle.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Don't get me wrong I was totally into det life - Getting away from squadron politics, No CFC or Navy Relief BS, blah blah blah. Opportunities to command early on as an OIC - even as a 0-3.

But how many time would you walk into CIC and not have acces sto any info you needed - only to launch off and fly into some major operations and have the CAG on the call up your OIC and b!tch about your unregulated flying, etc.

Or just getting the Card of the Day transimitted to you in time for you to actually use the thing, etc...