• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carrier Air Wing (helo)

mike172

GO NAVY
im gonna hijack my own thread here. If you start your career say your flying the 60B do u fly that your entire career or do you get moved around to different variants like the 60F or S. U would most likely get to fly alot of different missions if you got moved around.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
im gonna hijack my own thread here. If you start your career say your flying the 60B do u fly that your entire career or do you get moved around to different variants like the 60F or S. U would most likely get to fly alot of different missions if you got moved around.

Not likely from what I understand. Once you're in an airframe you typically stay there cause it'd take a lot more money to train you in another platform. The Navy doesn't want to spend money they don't need to. But the new
60R/S will have the same cockpit, so in theory its possible.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
@Bunk: Yeah, that's them. They were w/ the Lincoln.

As for moving around in the current setup, no, it's not easy to do. It's not so much money (as it doesn't take much to train a winged, seasoned HAC to fly a similar platform), but more on keeping numbers in the community. It does happen from time to time, but as with everything else, it's all about timing. Right now, they're saying everyone stays where they're at and the ginormous community merge will happen. So in the end, you might well be a HS (-60F/H)pilot and end up flying a Romeo in the next few years. Just depends on how it falls together.

phrogpilot73

Don't get me wrong I was totally into det life - Getting away from squadron politics, No CFC or Navy Relief BS, blah blah blah. Opportunities to command early on as an OIC - even as a 0-3.
I just checked into the infantry battalion for my FAC tour today... And the Ops Chief could only talk about MCCS, ordering coins, etc... stuff he couldn't wait to hand over to me. Something tells me that I need a det from here!

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just checked into the infantry battalion for my FAC tour today... And the Ops Chief could only talk about MCCS, ordering coins, etc... stuff he couldn't wait to hand over to me. Something tells me that I need a det from here!

That is BS, make the ADJ do that sh!t. The Ops chief who Im guessing is a Master Guns should ditch that crap and there is no way an air shop should have that crap.
All we had was command chronology and compiling AARs.
Adjutants at Battalions are easily intimidated.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Hope i'm not interrupting with a legitimate question but how do helos get assigned to a non-carrier ship that isn't party of a battle group.

If someone could clarify, is every helo part of a squadron/airwing and then broken up to be deployed to a specific ship or group? Or does a helo stay with the ship and pilots rotate in/out or what?

Also, on a cruiser/frigate/non-non carrier, how many pilots would you find attached, and what is life like for an aviator on a non-carrier boat?

Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Dodge:

There's a couple of recent threads on this stuff. Specifically on how helos are assigned http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12801&highlight=commodore for example. Basically, there's two general squadron types, HS and HSL (now HSM). They're merging soon, but there will still be helos going to the small boys.

As for det life on the small boys, there will usually be somewhere between 4-6 pilots, 2 or 3 AWs (crewman), and 1-2 birds. Life on the ship is good, except when it sucks. Sometimes this happens concurrently. Usually the smaller the ship, the more of a run of it the aviators will have. I did two cruises on a frigate, and on my second one, I was the third senior LT and my OIC was about even w/ the XO, so that helps. I've done some workups on CGs and things are quite so easy, but still, you're not at the bottom of the food chain, even as a nugget. I've heard it best summed up this way from my det chief: "Life on a carrier underway is better. Life on a small boy in port is better." Plus or minus hyperbole.

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
I did my first class cruise this past summer on a CG and HSL44 was with us doing workups for their future deployment which they are on now. There were 6 pilots with two -60's. I spent a week off NC hanging with the pilots and as long as the one stayed away from watching too much family guy and the chappelle show, they got along great. (but, it was only for a week)